From: Jerry on
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 13:53:08 -0200
Mauro Faccenda <faccenda(a)gmail.com> replied:

>Hm... that makes two recommendations, I'll take a look at it as well.
>
>Thanks Victoriano and Martin.
>
>Mauro
>
>2010/3/19 Victoriano Giralt <victoriano(a)uma.es>:
>>>
>>> I heard some praise for http://www.sympa.org/
>>> But I never used it myself.
>>>
>> I've been in the Mailman "acknowledgments" page for some time, and I
>> sort of pushed the internatiolaisation of Mailman, which I'm really
>> proud of. I'm also a declared Pythonist.
>>
>> But circumstances and organizational needs have made me to use Sympa
>> and get ready for transitioning to it. Only thing I can say is that
>> it is a wonderful performant tool, with a lot of excellent
>> capabilities and extensions.

I have used 'dada mail' <http://dadamailproject.com/> with excellent
success. The author is readily available for assistance if required.

--
Jerry
postfix.user(a)yahoo.com

Absolutum obsoletum. (If it works, it's out of date.)

From: Mauro Faccenda on
On Fri, Mar 19, 2010 at 1:35 PM, /dev/rob0 <rob0(a)gmx.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
>> My only problem with Mailman is that I can't have two lists with
>> the same 'mailbox' (the part before the @) in different virtual
>> domains (i.e. support(a)company.com and support(a)anothercompany.com),
>> and this is mandatory in my setup.
>
> There are dozens of workarounds for this limitation.
>
> First, why does the list name itself matter? What matters is that
> actual email addresses are aliased to the list commands. Example
> virtual(5) mapping:
>
> support(a)example.com     example.com_support(a)localhost
> support(a)example.net     example.net_support(a)localhost
> support(a)example.org     example.org_support(a)localhost

I know I can use this kind of workaround, but it doesn't seem much
'professional', as the real address/name is shown in the web interface
and messages.

Also, I want to ease the management for the users and every time
someone creates a list I'll need to create a dozen of aliases for it,
it isn't practical.

Maybe I could do it with a regexp mapping, but... I think you got it.
It seems that I'm using a screwdriver to hammer a nail.

> And other mappings as needed for the various Mailman commands. In
> this example, the outside senders see and use the right support@
> addresses, and only the help desk people see the real list names
> of "domain.tld_support".
>
> Second, this is trivially solved with multiple instances. You could
> have config_directory as subdirectories of /etc/postfix/ such as
> /etc/postfix/example.com, and do likewise for the queue_ and
> data_directory for each instance.
>    http://www.postfix.org/MULTI_INSTANCE_README.html

Yeah, I know I could do that aswell, but I'll have a lot of domains in
these servers. Seems better then the first suggestion, but a another
list manager seems even better (BTW: as far as I could see, Sympa is a
lot better!)

Another thing that bugs me, is that the Mailman's Brazilian Portuguese
translation is SCARY. If I'd stick with Mailman I'd like to spend some
time improving it.

> I don't know about other MLMs, but I am sure you can solve your
> problem with some Postfixation.

Thanks anyway for your suggestions ;)

From: Miles Fidelman on
Martin Schütte wrote:
> Mauro Faccenda wrote:
>
>> Does anyone can recommend any good alternative to Mailman as a Mailing
>> Lists Manager that plugs well with Postfix?
>>
> I heard some praise for http://www.sympa.org/
> But I never used it myself.

a tremendous piece of work - truly industrial strength with strong
support (open source from a consortium of French universities) - I use
it to support several dozen lists, supports multiple virtual domains

can be a bit tricky to get set up, though more recent releases have been
pretty easier, and the support list is great (lots of users and the main
developers respond as well)

works fine with Postfix (my installation includes Postfix, amavisd,
spamassassin, clamav - they all wire together just fine)

I recommend it highly

Miles

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra