From: Alistair on
On Aug 12, 1:02 am, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> It's odd. I used to get incensed by Foodman's posts here but now it doesn't
> bother me in the least. Maybe I'm getting old, maybe I don't care as much
> about COBOL as I once did, maybe living in peaceful serenity at home is
> calming my restless spirit :-)

The first reason, I think, old man.
From: Pete Dashwood on
Alistair wrote:
> On Aug 12, 1:02 am, "Pete Dashwood"
> <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>> It's odd. I used to get incensed by Foodman's posts here but now it
>> doesn't bother me in the least. Maybe I'm getting old, maybe I don't
>> care as much about COBOL as I once did, maybe living in peaceful
>> serenity at home is calming my restless spirit :-)
>

> The first reason, I think, old man.

Cheeky monkey! :-)

Sadly, you may be right...

Pete.

From: Alistair on
On Aug 12, 12:12 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> Alistair wrote:
> > On Aug 12, 1:02 am, "Pete Dashwood"
> > <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> >> It's odd. I used to get incensed by Foodman's posts here but now it
> >> doesn't bother me in the least. Maybe I'm getting old, maybe I don't
> >> care as much about COBOL as I once did, maybe living in peaceful
> >> serenity at home is calming my restless spirit :-)
>
> > The first reason, I think, old man.
>
> Cheeky monkey! :-)

Cheeky APE if you don't mind. Monkeys are sooooo New World.
From: Howard Brazee on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:02:57 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>What is familiar to Tony Dilworth, however, is a form of COBOL code which is
>unfamiliar to most of us. It works for him.
>
>It's odd. I used to get incensed by Foodman's posts here but now it doesn't
>bother me in the least. Maybe I'm getting old, maybe I don't care as much
>about COBOL as I once did, maybe living in peaceful serenity at home is
>calming my restless spirit :-) Whatever, I looked at this code and actually
>smiled. Doc's response made me chuckle.

Some people get mellow as they age. Others get more Righteous.

I very much appreciate the former.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:44:24 -0700 (PDT), Richard
<riplin(a)Azonic.co.nz> wrote:

>Did you really use commas in the procedure division ? These are a rich
>form of bugtrap that should have been eliminated in Cobol'61. Printers
>and most editors fail to distinguish adequately between '.' and ','
>leading to one being mistaken for the other.

At one time, that mattered, especially with old impact printers.

But it has been a long time since I worked at a place that printed off
copies of programs, and it's easy (even with my eyes), to distinguish
commas and periods on-line.

- James Madison
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7