From: Anonymous on
In article <8cgs1jF7quU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Pete Dashwood <dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>> In article
>> <acf4c646-f391-4fed-9038-b530e1d9b1bb(a)e15g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>,
>> foodman <foodman123(a)aol.com> wrote:

[snip]

>>> S9918.
>>> S9918A.
>>> S9918A-X.
>>> S9918B.
>>> S9918C.
>>> S9918D.
>>> S9918E.
>>> S9918F.
>>> S9918G.
>>> S9918H.
>>> S9918I.
>>
>> Mr Dilworth, I'd say that is *exactly* the kind of code - if any code
>> at all - that such a request requires.
>
>:-)
>
>Richard has it nailed when he says that what is familiar to us looks good to
>us.

I am familiar with the sight of women wearing narrow-toed, spike-heeled
shoes, Mr Dashwood, and given what I know of their effect on bones,
joints, tendons and muscles they do not look good to me.

I never claimed to know much about any 'us', though, at least as far as my
admittedly porous memory can recall.

[snip]

>Whatever, I looked at this code and actually
>smiled. Doc's response made me chuckle.

Shucks, you'se jest easily amused.

DD

From: foodman on
> most editors fail to distinguish adequately between '.' and ','
> leading to one being mistaken for the other.

Can you specify which editors have this problem and provide
examples of how they "fail to distinguish adequately" between the two?

Since you say 'most editors' can you tell us which ones do not
have this problem?

Which editor do you use?

BTW that routine was not written by me but by an employee of mine.

thanks
From: Pete Dashwood on
foodman wrote:
>> most editors fail to distinguish adequately between '.' and ','
>> leading to one being mistaken for the other.
>

> Can you specify which editors have this problem and provide
> examples of how they "fail to distinguish adequately" between the two?
>
> Since you say 'most editors' can you tell us which ones do not
> have this problem?
>
> Which editor do you use?
>
> BTW that routine was not written by me but by an employee of mine.

Tony, you wrote here previously that you test all employees and ensure they
can comply with your style and standards, adherence to these being a
condition of employment.. (I remember this because I thought at the time
"He must have a heck of a job getting people".)

While you and I have had fierce run-ins over code in the past, I have always
accepted that what you do works for you. And I don't think you are about to
change anything. I smiled at the code because it violates SO many of the
things that most people see as advantages of COBOL, but, at the end of the
day, it is familiar to you and you have no problem with it, so fair enough.

I'm therefore surprised to see you distancing yourself with your last
statement above. Or was that not your intention?

Pete.

From: Kerry Liles on
"foodman" <foodman123(a)aol.com> wrote in message
>> most editors fail to distinguish adequately between '.' and ','
>> leading to one being mistaken for the other.
>

> Can you specify which editors have this problem and provide
> examples of how they "fail to distinguish adequately" between the two?
>
> Since you say 'most editors' can you tell us which ones do not
> have this problem?
>
> Which editor do you use?
>
> BTW that routine was not written by me but by an employee of mine.
>
> thanks

It seemed clear enough to me that he meant that the visual representation of
a comma and a period can easily be mistaken when using 'most' editors. This
of course is not the fault of the editor itself, but more the choice of
(default) screen font, screen resolution or other factors related to the
display image.

Even if you are no longer using impact printers, distinguishing a comma from
a period is hard - again depending on the font size and the quality of the
printer.

Of course, he may have meant "editors" of the human variety,
in which case his statement is likely very true indeed.

The commas are noise as far as COBOL is concerned; I don't see much added
value when they are present and I would never use them.

From: SkippyPB on
On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 10:50:32 -0400, "Kerry Liles"
<kerry.removethisandoneperiod.liles(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>"foodman" <foodman123(a)aol.com> wrote in message
>>> most editors fail to distinguish adequately between '.' and ','
>>> leading to one being mistaken for the other.
>>

>> Can you specify which editors have this problem and provide
>> examples of how they "fail to distinguish adequately" between the two?
>>
>> Since you say 'most editors' can you tell us which ones do not
>> have this problem?
>>
>> Which editor do you use?
>>
>> BTW that routine was not written by me but by an employee of mine.
>>
>> thanks
>

>It seemed clear enough to me that he meant that the visual representation of
>a comma and a period can easily be mistaken when using 'most' editors. This
>of course is not the fault of the editor itself, but more the choice of
>(default) screen font, screen resolution or other factors related to the
>display image.
>
>Even if you are no longer using impact printers, distinguishing a comma from
>a period is hard - again depending on the font size and the quality of the
>printer.
>
>Of course, he may have meant "editors" of the human variety,
>in which case his statement is likely very true indeed.
>
>The commas are noise as far as COBOL is concerned; I don't see much added
>value when they are present and I would never use them.

While I would agree with the above statements, I do use commas in
COBOL to separate field names as in:

MOVE +0 TO WS-FLD-A, WS-FLD-B, WS-FLD-C.

Other than that, they have no other use to me.

Regards,
--

////
(o o)

"Ice Water? Get some Onions - that'll make your
eyes water!"
-- Groucho Marx

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve