From: Alistair on
On Jul 7, 5:20 pm, SkippyPB <swieg...(a)Nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:

> I thought that Issac Asimov was a "she".
>
> Steve- Hide quoted text -

Where did you get that idea from? It has never entered my head to
doubt Asimov's gender.

From: Alistair on
On Jul 8, 6:28 pm, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:33:01 -0400, SkippyPB
>
> <swieg...(a)Nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:
> >I read a lot of Asimov as a kid and I thought I had read that "Issac
> >Asimov" was the pen name of a woman.  I obviously have him confused
> >with someone else.
>
> I grew up thinking that "Andre" was a girl's name, as the only Andre I
> was familiar with was Andre Norton.
>
> --
> "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
> than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
> to the legislature, and not to the executive department."
>
> - James Madison

<Confession>

My middle name is Leslie (masculine spelling). As I kid I was taunted
(and scarred for life) by the jibe that Leslie was a girl's name. It
isn't, but Lesley (feminine spelling) is.

</Confession>

There was a British wrestler with the name of Shirley Crabtree (ring
name of Big Daddy) who was an ex-guardsman and built like the
proverbial brick ****house.
From: Anonymous on
In article <e21e4e72-8cd6-42da-b332-4c6da91e3477(a)y4g2000yqy.googlegroups.com>,
Alistair <alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:

[snip]

>There was a British wrestler with the name of Shirley Crabtree (ring
>name of Big Daddy) who was an ex-guardsman and built like the
>proverbial brick ****house.

As recalled from my high-school daze, long before similar puns were made
in moving pictures:

'Shirley, you jest!'

'Jest what?'

'Just pulled my leg!'

(note to non-native English speakers: in certain dialects of American
English the word 'just' is pronounced as 'jest' ('only a small amount'
being rendered as 'jest a tad') and the colloquialism of 'pull one's leg'
is used to indicate 'make a small joke with a party involved being unaware
that humor/exaggeration/deception is being employed')

(note to all - has anyone mentioned that 'a joke explained is a joke
lost'?)

DD

From: Pete Dashwood on
Alistair wrote:
> On Jul 8, 6:28 pm, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 08 Jul 2010 12:33:01 -0400, SkippyPB
>>
>> <swieg...(a)Nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:
>>> I read a lot of Asimov as a kid and I thought I had read that "Issac
>>> Asimov" was the pen name of a woman. I obviously have him confused
>>> with someone else.
>>
>> I grew up thinking that "Andre" was a girl's name, as the only Andre
>> I was familiar with was Andre Norton.
>>
>> --
>> "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
>> than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
>> to the legislature, and not to the executive department."
>>
>> - James Madison
>
> <Confession>
>
> My middle name is Leslie (masculine spelling). As I kid I was taunted
> (and scarred for life) by the jibe that Leslie was a girl's name. It
> isn't, but Lesley (feminine spelling) is.
>
> </Confession>

I wouldn't be too adamant about the genders and spelling, Alistair.

I have two friends here in NZ named Lesley. Both are male.

It's a pity you were teased but I guess it is inevitable with kids. Nothing
wrong with Lesley/Leslie as a name for a boy or a girl. Just think, they
might have named you Aloysius, Tarquin, or Egbert (no offence to people with
those names...). The point is there are far worse names (for boys and girls)
than "Leslie".

> There was a British wrestler with the name of Shirley Crabtree (ring
> name of Big Daddy) who was an ex-guardsman and built like the
> proverbial brick ****house.

His father's name was also Shirley.

I remember seeing him (Big Daddy) fight Giant Haystacks in the early 1980s
at Wembley... It was a complete farce with the outcome obviously
predetermined, but it was a good laugh. happy times...

Pete.

From: Alistair on
On Jul 9, 4:20 pm, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
> Alistair wrote:
> > On Jul 8, 6:28 pm, Howard Brazee <how...(a)brazee.net> wrote:

> >> I grew up thinking that "Andre" was a girl's name, as the only Andre
> >> I was familiar with was Andre Norton.
>
> >> --
> >> "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found,
> >> than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace
> >> to the legislature, and not to the executive department."
>
> >> - James Madison
>
> > <Confession>
>
> > My middle name is Leslie (masculine spelling). As I kid I was taunted
> > (and scarred for life) by the jibe that Leslie was a girl's name. It
> > isn't, but Lesley (feminine spelling) is.
>
> > </Confession>
>
> I wouldn't be too adamant about the genders and spelling, Alistair.
>
> I have two friends here in NZ named Lesley. Both are male.
>
> It's a pity you were teased but I guess it is inevitable with kids. Nothing
> wrong with Lesley/Leslie as a name for a boy or a girl. Just think, they
> might have named you Aloysius, Tarquin, or Egbert (no offence to people with
> those names...). The point is there are far worse names (for boys and girls)
> than "Leslie".

Aloysius, Tarquin, or Egbert? My parents, being Scottish, would never
have chosen such obviously English names.