From: Howard Brazee on
On Fri, 9 Jul 2010 03:28:48 -0700 (PDT), Alistair
<alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:

><Confession>
>
>My middle name is Leslie (masculine spelling). As I kid I was taunted
>(and scarred for life) by the jibe that Leslie was a girl's name. It
>isn't, but Lesley (feminine spelling) is.
>
></Confession>
>
>There was a British wrestler with the name of Shirley Crabtree (ring
>name of Big Daddy) who was an ex-guardsman and built like the
>proverbial brick ****house.

Shirley Temple changed our perception of that name.

Leslie Howard was a pretty famous actor, as is Leslie Nelson.

But so was Leslie Caron.

- James Madison
From: Howard Brazee on
On Sat, 10 Jul 2010 12:51:34 -0700 (PDT), Alistair
<alistair(a)ld50macca.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>Aloysius, Tarquin, or Egbert? My parents, being Scottish, would never
>have chosen such obviously English names.

It is interesting that "English" many names have become Jewish and
black names in the U.S. Examples: Reggie & Bernie.

Isaac Asimov wrote in his autobiography about when, as an infant, he
moved from Russia to the U.S. Other New York Jews recommended to
his parents that they change his name to be more American. They were
renaming Jewish names such as David to English names such as Sydney.

This is in a country that produced Abraham Lincoln.

- James Madison