From: willytheg on
Hope this is the correct place for these questions. I guess my first
question is in re: to getting email responses. It looked as if only MS
sponsored email sites were selectable and I generally use gmail. Can that be
done (bills1040(a)gmail.com)?

Whe tech question I need to ask concerns program that continually attempt to
load but cannot due to apparent missing .msi files. Though most of these are
Windows appl don't applications which I would think this forum would support,
eg. "Solution Center" is a program whose function I must have thought
important at one time; now I don't time even remember what it does. However,
when I start my PC (XP Pro) it keeps trying to load, unsuccessfully but
doggedly. The best I can figure from trouble shooting this is that a .msi
file is missing. When I looked up the procedure for possibly fixing this, it
required skills in registry manipulation that are beyond me. I wasa hoping
that Defender would detect the missing files and either automatically replace
them-at least insofar as MS products are concerned.

Further, when I try to run an application I really need access to, I get the
error message that another .msi file is missing, though in this case it seems
to be a BIOS file on a Dell PC. I have a problem with that because the Dell
PC I purchased 2 years ago came w/ XP. I had numerous problems with it and
finally goitr it restored but only later found out that they restoreed it
with XP Pro and I have the restoration Disks for XP Home. The error message I
get in this .msi missing file problem is to use the restore Disk that came
with PC-those disks are all for the original Home version and the .msi file
is something I'm unable to get for the Dell BIOS problem. Any help,
suggestions of websites, programs-non-commercial and safe that will check
system for missing .msi dfiles (and other file types since .dll files are
another type that frequently present the same problem).

I do use two security programs that have registry cleaners in them that
might be responsible. They are C Cleaner and Eusing both freeware and both
seemingly quite good. I do not know what is used in their registry sweeps
what HKEYS etc. ( I know very little about registry, though that is probably
apparent). I'm wondering what cyber logic they use to determine what registry
info to delete.

I weould greatly appreciate any help, suggestions for safe programs that can
detect and at least indicate where appropriate .msi files can be found? I was
contemplating Silverlight.

Thanks Everyone,
Bill
PS> First time poster so please pardon any breach of protocol, I know its
pretty lengthy

From: LVTravel on

"willytheg" <willytheg(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> I do use two security programs that have registry cleaners in them that
> might be responsible. They are C Cleaner and Eusing both freeware and both
> seemingly quite good. I do not know what is used in their registry sweeps
> what HKEYS etc. ( I know very little about registry, though that is
> probably
> apparent). I'm wondering what cyber logic they use to determine what
> registry
> info to delete.
>
> I weould greatly appreciate any help, suggestions for safe programs that
> can
> detect and at least indicate where appropriate .msi files can be found? I
> was
> contemplating Silverlight.
>
> Thanks Everyone,
> Bill
> PS> First time poster so please pardon any breach of protocol, I know its

First problem is the registry cleaner programs. Didn't read your full post
but get rid of them NOW!

You also, from the brief amount I read, have Pro installed but only have
licensing for Home. That plus your registry cleaner could be part of your
issues. I would recommend a full reinstall using the proper licensed disk
for the operating system license you have, after copying off any data files
you would need. Get yourself back to legal status and then install a good
antivirus program and a good firewall. Don't use registry cleaners as most
will tell you that they cause many more problems than they could possibly
cure.

Pages: 1
Prev: Microsoft Project
Next: Product Key