From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"scerab" <dr.aliocheltree(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> I bought a refurbished Fujitsu lifebook and it came with an original
> windows
> XP tablet pc edition, but no CDs however. I have the key code. I want to
> formant the machine. how can I do so if I have no windows CDs?
> is there a way to back up my windows?
> thanks in advance

Check to see if there is a Restore partition on your machine?
E.g. either Run... diskmgmt.msc or in an elevated cmd window enter:

fsutil fsinfo drives

FWIW in my HP tablet (W7) there is a .wim file in its Restore partition
and there is a magic keyboard shortcut available to use it.

That's with W7 but I imagine that XP probably has something similar or OEM's
have created something analogous...

http://www.fujitsu.com/sg/services/computing/pc/support/drivers/recovery_process.html

(BING search for
fujitsu recovery XP lifebook
)

So this would be equivalent to doing a reformat and recovering from the
stored image. If you have other files that you want to keep you would have
to preserve them somewhere else, since I suspect this procedure wouldn't
even respect any other partitioning you might have done...

http://forum.ts.fujitsu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=39640&p=127636

(BING search for
fujitsu recovery XP lifebook partition
)

QED. ; )

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: Rainald Taesler on
Jaime wrote:
> scerab wrote:

>> so what your saying is there is no way i can back up the windows on
>> my lifebook?
>> can I like download windows XP tablet PC edition from Microsoft, I
>> have my key code.
>> I downloaded all the drivers from the manufactures website.
>
> Yes, you could make an image of your computer (to an external drive
> for instance) or clone it to another drive for emergency disaster
> recovery. You can use that later to put the system back on the
> computer, but that is not the same as reinstalling Windows. You would
> just be making a exact copy of the system as it is at the time of the
> imaging, so if you reformatted the drive and then used that image to
> put the system back, it would be exactly as it was before the
> reformat (more or less).

Yes.
But this obviously is not what the OP has in mind when he is talking of
"format the machine".

This would just be a snapshot of the situation given right in the
moment. And therefore the image would just contain all of the
irregularities which have grown over the years {siiigh}

Rainald

From: Rainald Taesler on
Steve Jain [MVP] wrote:
> scerab wrote:

> Fujistu should be able to sell you replacement disks for installation
> in this case.

Right, they *SHOULD*!
Most probably they won't be able to fulfill that, however.

I have been following the discussions in this NewsGroup for quite some
years.
The undoubted No. 1 issue has been the lack of OS-media (especially
since second-hand TabletPCs appeared on eBay).

In only too many cases the hardware manufacturers were unable
(unwilling??) to hand out the needed OS-CDs.

Whereas Gateway was the worst example (well noted for future buying
<!>), HP for a very long time was able and willing to provide the media
for a nominal fee (I can't say how the situation might be meanwhile).

I can not remember exactly for FJS, but I seem to remember that it's
been reported by desperate users that they declared being "sold out" a
longer while ago.

Anyway, it would be worth a try to approach FJS (escalating the case as
high as any possible).
For the OP this would be the first thing to try.

Rainald

From: Rainald Taesler on
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:
> "scerab" wrote:

>> I bought a refurbished Fujitsu lifebook and it came with an original
>> windows
>> XP tablet pc edition, but no CDs however. I have the key code. I
>> want to formant the machine. how can I do so if I have no windows
>> CDs?
>> is there a way to back up my windows?
>> thanks in advance
>
> Check to see if there is a Restore partition on your machine?

Yes, first thing to do!

It is a most popular construction nowadays not to hand out OS-media but
put things on the HDD and let the user create the media himself (IMHO a
serious regression and a bad outcome of "the do-it-yourself" ideology
{siiiigh}.

I seriously doubt, however, that this might have been the case already
when the TabletPC in question appeared on the market. TabletPCs were a
high-end product these days and clients who could afford to buy such
"luxury" device were treated as upper-class clients.
My HP/COMPAQ tc1100, f.e., came with a full set if almost a dozen CDs
;-)

> FWIW in my HP tablet (W7) there is a .wim file in its Restore
> partition and there is a magic keyboard shortcut available to use it.
>
> That's with W7 but I imagine that XP probably has something similar
> or OEM's have created something analogous...

NO, this is not a feature of the *OS*.
It's just the manufacturer's way of doing things!

And there's huge differences between the different product lines and
especially the *levels* of the products. He who buys a Mercedes -Benz, a
Jaguar or a Porsche has to be handled different and be given more
incentives than the one who buys a Mazda Pickup <bg>.

As you speak of HP:
Two weeks ago I got my dc7900 (high-end Business Desktop).
It was sold for Vista Business with XP downgrade, had XP SP3
pre-installed and came with "Recovery Plus!" DVD-sets for XP and Vista
plus DVDs/CDs for additional software (8 disks altogether) - not to
mention the option for a Win7 upgrade (I got Win7 Ultimate for the
nominal fee if some 30 € ;-) )
No need to create the OS-media from some "*.wim" on some (hidden)
"Recovery Partition").

An ashtray in a Rolls Royce per default has to be significantly
different from what the "plebs" will get ...

All in all:
I doubt that the FJS TabletPC in question would have come with a
do-it-yourself recovery-disk solution.

Rainald
P.S. The links you posted unfortunately do not lead to any solution
:-( :-(

From: Rainald Taesler on
scerab wrote:
> so what your saying is there is no way i can back up the windows on my
> lifebook?

RightyRight!
It's just the same as it has *always* been:
An installed OS can not be backuped as such.
One can backup data and one can create images.
But a "recovery" (playback) would just re-create the state given at the
time of the backup.
And AFAICS that would not be of any use for you (there seems to be
reasons why you want to "reformat").

> can I like download windows XP tablet PC edition from Microsoft, I
> have my key code.

NO.
Operating Systems never ever have been available for "public" download
(different with "Partners" of MS like the subscribers of MSDN).

> I downloaded all the drivers from the manufactures website.

That's good. ;-)
But this won't give you the needed OS :-( :-(

The only things you can do:
(a) Contact FJS and ask them if they might still have the Recovery-CDs
for your device on stock;
(b) carefully watch on eBay for offers of "Win XP TabletPC edition" for
a longer period;

Should that fail, drop me a mail:
taesler [at] web [dot] de

I'll then take care of you.