From: scerab on
I bought a refurbished Fujitsu lifebook and it came with an original windows
XP tablet pc edition, but no CDs however. I have the key code. I want to
formant the machine. how can I do so if I have no windows CDs?
is there a way to back up my windows?
thanks in advance

From: Jaime on
You will need the CD's to reinstall XP, so formatting it isn't the only
problem.

If you are installing a new OS, then you can use that CD to format the
drive.

Otherwise, write to Fujitsu and see if they will sell you install disks or
try to find a cheap set online (legality may be questionable).
--
James
Orlando (Goofy says "Hey"), Florida

From: scerab on
so what your saying is there is no way i can back up the windows on my
lifebook?
can I like download windows XP tablet PC edition from Microsoft, I have my
key code.
I downloaded all the drivers from the manufactures website.

From: Jaime on
Yes, you could make an image of your computer (to an external drive for
instance) or clone it to another drive for emergency disaster recovery. You
can use that later to put the system back on the computer, but that is not
the same as reinstalling Windows. You would just be making a exact copy of
the system as it is at the time of the imaging, so if you reformatted the
drive and then used that image to put the system back, it would be exactly
as it was before the reformat (more or less).

You need actual setup/install discs to reinstall the OS.

If you have a Technet or some other subscription with MS, you can download
the OS, otherwise no it can't be downloaded.

Have you checked with Fujitsu to see if the recovery discs are available.

Have you checked online? I did a quick search on ebay and saw someone was
selling Fujitsu recovery disks, not sure if it's the same lifebook.

From: Steve Jain [MVP] on
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 20:14:02 -0800, scerab <dr.aliocheltree(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>so what your saying is there is no way i can back up the windows on my
>lifebook?
>can I like download windows XP tablet PC edition from Microsoft, I have my
>key code.
>I downloaded all the drivers from the manufactures website.

Since you have an OEM installation of Windows, the manufacturer of the
tablet is responsible for support and CDs, not Microsoft.
Generally, the manufacturer includes some kind of utility that allows
you to make a recovery disk. If the system was reformatted and
installed with a plain installation, you might have lost this option.
Fujistu should be able to sell you replacement disks for installation
in this case.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP