From: dba cjb on
I need to understand what event/ sequence of events requires the use
of the ' using backup controlfile' syntax when effecting recovery

I am trying to build my own recovery scenario cases for our specific
set-up

regards
Chris B
From: Mark D Powell on
On Mar 26, 12:43 pm, dba cjb <chris.br...(a)providentinsurance.co.uk>
wrote:
> I need to understand what event/ sequence of events requires the use
> of the ' using backup controlfile' syntax when effecting recovery
>
> I am trying to build my own recovery scenario cases for our specific
> set-up
>
> regards
> Chris B

You only need to use the "with backup control file" clause when the
backup you are going to run includes/uses a restored control file
rather than use the current control file. You will be rolling forward
to a point in time that is newer than the point in time last (really
SCN) recorded in the control file. You are telling Oracle to expect
this condition and to update the control file as the database is
rolled forward. (Note at the end of the roll forward recovery process
incomplete transactions are rolled back but this is really important
to your question.)

When performing a full recovery of the database you should always use
the current control file if it is undamaged.

The Backup and Recovery manual explains the backup, restore, and
recovery process in much greater detail. It is essential reading for
a DBA.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --

From: joel garry on
On Mar 26, 9:43 am, dba cjb <chris.br...(a)providentinsurance.co.uk>
wrote:
> I need to understand what event/ sequence of events requires the use
> of the ' using backup controlfile' syntax when effecting recovery
>
> I am trying to build my own recovery scenario cases for our specific
> set-up
>
> regards
> Chris B

It's basically a way of telling Oracle that you know better than it
what logs are available. For example, if you have a copy of
everything from Sunday, including the controlfile, and all the
archived logs since then, you can use the syntax to bring it more
current than Sunday. Conversely, it is one of the ways to perform
recovery to a point in time before, though not necessary (see MOS
94114.1).

As to what sequence of events requires the use of it:

$ oerr ora 1610
01610, 00000, "recovery using the BACKUP CONTROLFILE option must be
done"
// *Cause: Either an earlier database recovery session specified
BACKUP
// CONTROLFILE, or the control file was recreated with the
RESETLOGS
// option, or the control file being used is a backup control
file.
// After that only BACKUP CONTROLFILE recovery is allowed
// and it must be followed by a log reset at the next
database open.
// *Action: Perform recovery using the BACKUP CONTROFILE option.

There're also some incarnation scenarios, and if you are using a split
mirror, see MOS 302615.1.

Also, to belabor the obvious, if you've lost all your controlfiles.

jg
--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/mar/26/phony-products-impress-federal-energy-program/