Prev: IE 8
Next: Will not boot up.
From: Jack B on
Thanks.

My pc is 8� yrs old so I probably ought to replace the battery. Is there
anything in particular I should be aware of in doing that?

Jack

"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:50:48 -0400, "Jack B"
<jslimp01nospam(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> When does the little battery on the motherboard need to be replaced?

When it fails. You will know when that begins because the clock will
start to lose time whenever the machine is powered off.

When does that happen? It depends entirely on the specific battery.
Sometime as soon as a couple of months after purchase. Sometimes as
much as five years later.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup

From: Lem on
Jack B wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> My pc is 8� yrs old so I probably ought to replace the battery. Is there
> anything in particular I should be aware of in doing that?
>

> Jack
>

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:50:48 -0400, "Jack B"
> <jslimp01nospam(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> When does the little battery on the motherboard need to be replaced?
>

> When it fails. You will know when that begins because the clock will
> start to lose time whenever the machine is powered off.
>
> When does that happen? It depends entirely on the specific battery.
> Sometime as soon as a couple of months after purchase. Sometimes as
> much as five years later.

Unplug the computer from the wall (you might also wait a few minutes
after you unplug it) and discharge any static electricity from your body
before working on the computer (and/or wear an antistatic wrist strap).
Don't poke your fingers (or any metallic tool) in random parts of the
computer.

This is a FAQ: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=replace+cmos+battery

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Unknown on
Simple common sense. Turn power off but leave line cord plugged in.
(Provides static discharge path)
Touch frame of computer before anything else (discharge static)

From: "db" databaseben at hotmail dot on
as they say:

"If it aint broke
then don't fix it"

--

db���`�...�><)))�>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 16:58:30 -0400, "Jack B"
<jslimp01nospam(a)earthlink.net> wrote:

> Thanks.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

> My pc is 8� yrs old so I probably ought to replace the battery.

8� years is an extraordinarily long time for a battery; you've been
very fortunate.

If you're not having problems with it, there's no rush to replace it.
On the other hand, it can't last a whole lot longer. And since they
are very cheap (under $5 US) and they are very easy to replace,
there's no real downside to doing it now.

> Is there
> anything in particular I should be aware of in doing that?

As I said, it's very easy. My only suggestion, if you've never done it
before, is to get a friend who has done it to work with you and show
you how.

> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake(a)this.is.an.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 14:50:48 -0400, "Jack B"
> <jslimp01nospam(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > When does the little battery on the motherboard need to be replaced?
>

> When it fails. You will know when that begins because the clock will
> start to lose time whenever the machine is powered off.
>
> When does that happen? It depends entirely on the specific battery.
> Sometime as soon as a couple of months after purchase. Sometimes as
> much as five years later.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9