Prev: IE 8
Next: Will not boot up.
From: Doum on
NA <NA(a)na.org> �crivait news:4BB6675A.9090901(a)na.org:

> On 4/2/2010 5:19 PM EDT, Unknown wrote:
>> Simple common sense. Turn power off but leave line cord plugged in.
>> (Provides static discharge path)
>> Touch frame of computer before anything else (discharge static)
>
> Turning power off and leaving AC power cord plugged in is *not* a good
> idea. This does not completely remove power from the motherboard. The
> Standby +5VDC is still active even when the rest of the power supply
> lines are off. This is used to power the circuitry that controls the
> Power-On signal, and network card's Wake-On-LAN capabilities. Always
> unplug the AC cord is the common sense approach.

My P4 and Core2Quad computers have Asus motherboards (retails) and Antec
power supplies (retails).

There are leds on the motherboards and ON/OFF (1/0) switches on the power
supplies on the back of the towers.

When I flip the power supplies to OFF (0), the leds on the motherboards go
out and I am not able to turn on the computers from the power switch in
front of the tower and I am pretty sure they would not power on using Wake-
On-Lan or keyboard keystrokes. That tells me that there is NO power going
to the MB and I can do maintenance such as replacing MB battery or memory
on them without unplugging the power cord from the wall or power bar, I
already replaced the battery on my P4 and added memory to the Core2Quad
only turning the back switch OFF and no problems.

The only time I unplug that cord, is when I take the towers outside to
remove accumulated dust with air spray cans.

Of course if the power supplies don't have the power switch like many OEM
models, you need to unplug the power cord.
From: Unknown on
Your computer is not a United States version. It probably is Canadian.
Electrical specs vary from country to country.
The US computers do not have on/off switches on the back of the power
supplies.

From: Doum on
I don't think so, check out the pictures on this page, they all have
switches.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=32&name=Power-Supplies

I made sure to use the Newegg US page, the Canadian site is newegg.ca.

By the the way Canadian and American electricity is the same, 60 hertz
and some electricity used in US comes from Canada and some electricity
used in Canada comes from US.

From: Unknown on
Good grief, I have never seen one. What brands of computers (if you know)
other than replacement supplies have
an on/off switch?

From: Doum on
My computers don't have brands and they use Antec power supplies and
cases.

If you buy a computer in a small specialized local computer shop, they
will build it themselves with parts you choose yourself and they usually
use good components like the ones on the Newegg page. If the customer
doesn't know enough and it's a good honest place, they will use quality
parts. They might be a little more expensive but I prefer those system
than HP, Acer, Dell, etc.

So, no I don't know any specific brand that has a power supply switch.

Sometimes those shop will put a logo of themselves on the tower but they
use parts that you can actually buy separately yourself and put them
together, it's not that hard, you usually only need a Phillips
screwdriver and some heatsink compound for the CPU.

For example, my Core2Quad was built by a local store, it has Antec power
supply and tower, Asus motherboard and video card, Intel processor,
Corsair memory and Western Digital hard drives.

The only branded computers I have ever bought, are laptops.

> Good grief, I have never seen one. What brands of computers (if you
> know) other than replacement supplies have
> an on/off switch?
> "Doum" <me(a)domain.net> wrote in message
>>I don't think so, check out the pictures on this page, they all have
>> switches.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Store/Category.aspx?Category=32&name=Power-Suppl
>> ies
>>
>> I made sure to use the Newegg US page, the Canadian site is
>> newegg.ca.
>>
>> By the the way Canadian and American electricity is the same, 60
>> hertz and some electricity used in US comes from Canada and some
>> electricity used in Canada comes from US.

<snip>
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: IE 8