From: ps56k on

"Linea Recta" <mccm.vos(a)abc.invalid> wrote in message

> "BillW50" <BillW50(a)aol.kom> schreef in bericht
>> In news:4bf6d115$0$22933$e4fe514c(a)news.xs4all.nl,
>> Linea Recta typed on Fri, 21 May 2010 20:29:40 +0200:
>>> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on
>>> a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
>>> time to make one myself.
>>> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort
>>> of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use.
>>> This ensures prevention of spying.
>>
>> On four of mine, the built in webcam has a green light. Thus you know
>> when it is on or off. Nobody can see you when the light is off. Does
>> yours have a light too?
>>

> Indeed it has. (So has the Logitech webcam). But still, the led light on
> the laptop is very tiny and barely visible in broad daylight. Besides, one
> never knows what software tricks are going to be played, disabling the
> green light etc. So I need a physical solution. You might call it
> paranoid?

duh - a small piece of masking, electrical, painter tape over the lens -

From: Adrian C on
On 21/05/2010 19:29, Linea Recta wrote:
> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort of
> spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use. This ensures
> prevention of spying.

It should be possible to disable the driver in a hardware profile. Just
take care to select the right one when you boot.

Or, yeah duct tape...

--
Adrian C
From: Aaron on
> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on a
> laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have time to make
> one myself.
> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort of
> spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use. This ensures
> prevention of spying.

A piece of aluminum foil bent in a U-shape to cover the lens. No tape
residue and very inexpensive.

I think the best 'clip' idea is a chip bag closer that someone else
suggested.

--

I'm glad my Mom named me Aaron,
That's what everybody calls me.
From: Linea Recta on
"Aaron" <kemtek.1(a)gmail.com> schreef in bericht
>> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on a
>> laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have time to
>> make one myself.
>> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort of
>> spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use. This
>> ensures prevention of spying.
>
> A piece of aluminum foil bent in a U-shape to cover the lens. No tape
> residue and very inexpensive.

I think that's a great idea. Foil seems very effective and with no
disadvantages. Wonder why I didn't figure this out myself!

--
regards,

|\ /|
| \/ |@rk
\../
\/os

From: Aaron on
>>> I wonder, is there some clip on the market for blinding the webcam on
>>> a laptop? Never seen anything of the sort though and I don't have
>>> time to make one myself.
>>> On the desktop I have a Logitech webcam which is equipped with a sort
>>> of spectacle which moves over the lens when the cam is not in use.
>>> This ensures prevention of spying.
>>
>> A piece of aluminum foil bent in a U-shape to cover the lens. No tape
>> residue and very inexpensive.
>
> I think that's a great idea. Foil seems very effective and with no
> disadvantages. Wonder why I didn't figure this out myself!

Because you don't wear an aluminum cap on your head like I do? :)

Actually, someone mentioned being very paranoid, I thought "Enough to
wear an aluminum cap?" and "Viola"! Or was it trumpets I heard?