From: Roger Mills on
I have just bought a new laptop running Windows 7 Professional (32 bit) and
have installed XP in a virtual machine to cope with the odd applications[1]
which won't run in Win7.

One application which will only run in the virtual machine is Jaws PDF
Converter - which installs a pseudo printer driver and, when you 'print'
with it, a PDF file is produced. I would like to be able to share this
'printer' so that I can print to it from Win7 applications, but I haven't
yet succeeded in doing so. I can go into the printer setup menu on the
virtual machine and can tell it to share the printer, but I still can't see
the 'printer' from the Win7 side. Does anyone know whether this is possible
and, if so, how to do it?

If I can avoid it, I don't want to have to install all the applications from
which I may want to 'print' to PDF files on the virtual machine.

[The same would probably apply if I had a *real* printer whose driver only
worked in XP, and if I wanted to print to it from Win7.]

Another thing which seems odd to me - but perhaps it's to be expected - is
that although the Win7 system and the virtual machine share the same
physical network card, they've somehow acquired different IP addresses which
are not even in the same subnet. This seems to result in a strange
combination of what is and isn't visible to what when I try to ping the
physical and virtual machines from each other and from other computers in my
network. Anyone know what to expect here?

I would welcome comments from anyone who has managed to suss this virtual
machine business, and whose experience is more extensive than my two days'
worth.

[1] I've been agreeably surprised with what *will* run in Win7 - including a
number of old applications originally written for Win9x!
--
Cheers,
Roger

From: John Rumm on
On 19/05/2010 21:00, Roger Mills wrote:

> I have just bought a new laptop running Windows 7 Professional (32 bit) and
> have installed XP in a virtual machine to cope with the odd applications[1]
> which won't run in Win7.

Which virtual PC are you using? The one that comes with win7 (aka "XP
Mode") or a bolt on like MS Virtual PC or Citrix?

> One application which will only run in the virtual machine is Jaws PDF
> Converter - which installs a pseudo printer driver and, when you 'print'
> with it, a PDF file is produced. I would like to be able to share this
> 'printer' so that I can print to it from Win7 applications, but I haven't
> yet succeeded in doing so. I can go into the printer setup menu on the
> virtual machine and can tell it to share the printer, but I still can't see
> the 'printer' from the Win7 side. Does anyone know whether this is possible
> and, if so, how to do it?

Have you tried sharing it as a network printer? (that may be what you mean!)

> Another thing which seems odd to me - but perhaps it's to be expected - is
> that although the Win7 system and the virtual machine share the same
> physical network card, they've somehow acquired different IP addresses which
> are not even in the same subnet. This seems to result in a strange

Which might explain difficulty seeing network resources shared on one
machine from the other!

Assuming they are both (i.e. win7 and the virtual pc) set to DHCP an
address, they ought to grab an address from your DHCP server (usually
your router).

You can try an "ipconfig /renew" from a command line to force either to

The other solution is to assign a fixed ip address to one or both
machines. (ideally, tweak the range that the router can hand out to not
include your static addresses).

> combination of what is and isn't visible to what when I try to ping the
> physical and virtual machines from each other and from other computers in my
> network. Anyone know what to expect here?

If auto configuring they will typically grab consecutive addresses from
the router (unless it is a clever one that remembers previous mac
address to IP bindings).

> I would welcome comments from anyone who has managed to suss this virtual
> machine business, and whose experience is more extensive than my two days'
> worth.
>

> [1] I've been agreeably surprised with what *will* run in Win7 - including a
> number of old applications originally written for Win9x!

--
Cheers,

John.

From: Owain on
On 19 May, 21:00, "Roger Mills" wrote:
> One application which will only run in the virtual machine is Jaws PDF
> Converter - which installs a pseudo printer driver and, when you 'print'
> with it, a PDF file is produced. I would like to be able to share this
> 'printer' so that I can print to it from Win7 applications, but I haven't
> yet succeeded in doing so.

Try another PDF 'printer' CutePDF seems popular

Owain

From: Adrian C on
On 19/05/2010 21:00, Roger Mills wrote:
> I have just bought a new laptop running Windows 7 Professional (32 bit) and
> have installed XP in a virtual machine to cope with the odd applications[1]
> which won't run in Win7.
>
> One application which will only run in the virtual machine is Jaws PDF
> Converter - which installs a pseudo printer driver and, when you 'print'
> with it, a PDF file is produced. I would like to be able to share this
> 'printer' so that I can print to it from Win7 applications, but I haven't
> yet succeeded in doing so. I can go into the printer setup menu on the
> virtual machine and can tell it to share the printer, but I still can't see
> the 'printer' from the Win7 side. Does anyone know whether this is possible
> and, if so, how to do it?
>
> If I can avoid it, I don't want to have to install all the applications from
> which I may want to 'print' to PDF files on the virtual machine.
>
> [The same would probably apply if I had a *real* printer whose driver only
> worked in XP, and if I wanted to print to it from Win7.]
>
> Another thing which seems odd to me - but perhaps it's to be expected - is
> that although the Win7 system and the virtual machine share the same
> physical network card, they've somehow acquired different IP addresses which
> are not even in the same subnet.

At a guess, (I'm a VMWare geek) you need to set virtual hardware support
features in Windows 7 so that network services are 'bridged' to the
virtual network card in the XP guest, not 'NAT'ed'

Oh hang on, lets google 'bridge windows 7 virtual network'

<http://blogs.technet.com/windows_vpc/archive/2009/09/26/networking-and-using-windows-xp-mode.aspx>

--
Adrian C
From: Roger Mills on
In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Owain
<spuorgelgoog(a)gowanhill.com> wrote:
> On 19 May, 21:00, "Roger Mills" wrote:
>> One application which will only run in the virtual machine is Jaws
>> PDF Converter - which installs a pseudo printer driver and, when you
>> 'print' with it, a PDF file is produced. I would like to be able to
>> share this 'printer' so that I can print to it from Win7
>> applications, but I haven't yet succeeded in doing so.
>
> Try another PDF 'printer' CutePDF seems popular
>
> Owain

That's another possibility, of course! However, I like Jaws because it
handles security well (with control over whether the resulting PDF file can
be edited, printed, etc.) and it attaches itself to Word's file menu making
it very quick to turn a Word document into a PDF file. Having said that,
that last bit is unlikely to work if word is installed in Win7 and Jaws in
the virtual machine.
--
Cheers,
Roger