From: P.V. on
"Roger Mills" <watt.tyler(a)googlemail.com> kirjoitti
viestiss�:85iucpFnjhU1(a)mid.individual.net...
> Another thing which seems odd to me - but perhaps it's to be expected - is
> that although the Win7 system and the virtual machine share the same
> physical network card, they've somehow acquired different IP addresses
> which are not even in the same subnet. This seems to result in a strange
> combination of what is and isn't visible to what when I try to ping the
> physical and virtual machines from each other and from other computers in
> my network. Anyone know what to expect here?

Could it be that the virtual XP machine is actually set to use NAT? If
that's the case you could simply change the setting to the one with the
physical network card's name (the setting is in Virtual PC's network
settings). Then the physical computer and the virtual one would be like two
computers in the same network with IP addresses of the same subnet.

P.V.

From: Dave Liquorice on
On Wed, 19 May 2010 21:00:31 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

> One application which will only run in the virtual machine is Jaws PDF
> Converter - which installs a pseudo printer driver and, when you 'print'
> with it, a PDF file is produced. I would like to be able to share this
> 'printer' so that I can print to it from Win7 applications, but I
> haven't yet succeeded in doing so.

Why not just install one of the many available .pdf "printers" that
will run under Win7? I'm sure there must be one that fits your
requirements re security, editing etc of the resultant file.

--
Cheers
Dave.

From: Rod on
On 19/05/2010 21:55, Roger Mills wrote:
> In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Owain
> <spuorgelgoog(a)gowanhill.com> wrote:
>> On 19 May, 21:00, "Roger Mills" wrote:
>>> One application which will only run in the virtual machine is Jaws
>>> PDF Converter - which installs a pseudo printer driver and, when you
>>> 'print' with it, a PDF file is produced. I would like to be able to
>>> share this 'printer' so that I can print to it from Win7
>>> applications, but I haven't yet succeeded in doing so.
>>
>> Try another PDF 'printer' CutePDF seems popular
>>
>> Owain
>
> That's another possibility, of course! However, I like Jaws because it
> handles security well (with control over whether the resulting PDF file can
> be edited, printed, etc.) and it attaches itself to Word's file menu making
> it very quick to turn a Word document into a PDF file. Having said that,
> that last bit is unlikely to work if word is installed in Win7 and Jaws in
> the virtual machine.

What about the gDoc products from the same company? Looks like Jaws will
not be made to run on W7. (I have no idea what the product is like.)

--
Rod
From: Roger Mills on
In an earlier contribution to this discussion, John Rumm
<see.my.signature(a)nowhere.null> wrote:
> On 19/05/2010 21:00, Roger Mills wrote:
>
>> I have just bought a new laptop running Windows 7 Professional (32
>> bit) and have installed XP in a virtual machine to cope with the odd
>> applications[1] which won't run in Win7.
>
> Which virtual PC are you using? The one that comes with win7 (aka "XP
> Mode") or a bolt on like MS Virtual PC or Citrix?

I'm using (MS) Windows XP Mode in conjunction with Windows Virtual PC, both
of which I downloaded and installed by following instructions on the MS
site.

>> One application which will only run in the virtual machine is Jaws
>> PDF Converter - which installs a pseudo printer driver and, when you
>> 'print' with it, a PDF file is produced. I would like to be able to
>> share this 'printer' so that I can print to it from Win7
>> applications, but I haven't yet succeeded in doing so. I can go into
>> the printer setup menu on the virtual machine and can tell it to
>> share the printer, but I still can't see the 'printer' from the Win7
>> side. Does anyone know whether this is possible and, if so, how to
>> do it?
>
> Have you tried sharing it as a network printer? (that may be what you
> mean!)
Yes, that's what I've tried to do - and I've given it the name "Jaws". The
system has assigned the name "VirtualXP-41525" to the virtual machine. When
browsing for network printers on the Win7 system failed to find my shared
'printer', I entered it explicitly as \\VirtualXP-41525\Jaws - but it
*still* couldn't find it.

>> Another thing which seems odd to me - but perhaps it's to be
>> expected - is that although the Win7 system and the virtual machine
>> share the same physical network card, they've somehow acquired
>> different IP addresses which are not even in the same subnet. This
>> seems to result in a strange
>
> Which might explain difficulty seeing network resources shared on one
> machine from the other!
>
> Assuming they are both (i.e. win7 and the virtual pc) set to DHCP an
> address, they ought to grab an address from your DHCP server (usually
> your router).
>
> You can try an "ipconfig /renew" from a command line to force either
> to go back and get another.

Just done that, and it's come back with the same address as before.

> The other solution is to assign a fixed ip address to one or both
> machines. (ideally, tweak the range that the router can hand out to
> not include your static addresses).

I might resort to that, but I need to understand how it's *supposed* to
work - see below.

> If auto configuring they will typically grab consecutive addresses
> from the router (unless it is a clever one that remembers previous mac
> address to IP bindings).

I would have expected something like that, but that's not how it appears to
work! The address given to the virtual machine is *not* in the range which I
have allowed the router to dish out under DHCP - and is not even in the same
subnet. To be specific:

Router's own LAN IP: 192.168.1.110
Router's DHCP range: 192.168.1.80-90
Physical computer's IP: 192.168.1.81
Physical computer's Gateway: 192.168.1.110

all pretty much as I would expect.

*However*:
Virtual machine's IP: 192.168.131.65
Virtual machine's Gateway: 192.168.131.254

It's as though there is a virtual DHCP server which is dishing out addresses
from the 131 subnet instead of the 1 subnet to virtual machine(s)

Anyone seen anything like this?
--
Cheers,
Roger

From: John Rumm on
On 19/05/2010 23:21, Roger Mills wrote:

>> Which virtual PC are you using? The one that comes with win7 (aka "XP
>> Mode") or a bolt on like MS Virtual PC or Citrix?
>>
> I'm using (MS) Windows XP Mode in conjunction with Windows Virtual PC, both
> of which I downloaded and installed by following instructions on the MS
> site.

ok, I have used that - but not under win 7 yet...

>> Have you tried sharing it as a network printer? (that may be what you
>> mean!)
> Yes, that's what I've tried to do - and I've given it the name "Jaws". The
> system has assigned the name "VirtualXP-41525" to the virtual machine. When
> browsing for network printers on the Win7 system failed to find my shared
> 'printer', I entered it explicitly as \\VirtualXP-41525\Jaws - but it
> *still* couldn't find it.

Probably because it has no route to it... its IP address places it
outside your subnet, and hence requests would be routed toward your
default gateway (your router). You might be able to fix that adding a
static route - but it ought not be necessary.

>>> Another thing which seems odd to me - but perhaps it's to be
>>> expected - is that although the Win7 system and the virtual machine
>>> share the same physical network card, they've somehow acquired
>>> different IP addresses which are not even in the same subnet. This
>>> seems to result in a strange
>>
>> Which might explain difficulty seeing network resources shared on one
>> machine from the other!
>>
>> Assuming they are both (i.e. win7 and the virtual pc) set to DHCP an
>> address, they ought to grab an address from your DHCP server (usually
>> your router).
>>
>> You can try an "ipconfig /renew" from a command line to force either
>> to go back and get another.
>>

> Just done that, and it's come back with the same address as before.
>

>> The other solution is to assign a fixed ip address to one or both
>> machines. (ideally, tweak the range that the router can hand out to
>> not include your static addresses).
>>

> I might resort to that, but I need to understand how it's *supposed* to
> work - see below.

They may have changed something - but I sometimes use virtual PC to run
a few Win servers. They all seem to DHCP nicely from the real DHCP server...

>> If auto configuring they will typically grab consecutive addresses
>> from the router (unless it is a clever one that remembers previous mac
>> address to IP bindings).
>>

> I would have expected something like that, but that's not how it appears to
> work! The address given to the virtual machine is *not* in the range which I
> have allowed the router to dish out under DHCP - and is not even in the same
> subnet. To be specific:
>
> Router's own LAN IP: 192.168.1.110
> Router's DHCP range: 192.168.1.80-90
> Physical computer's IP: 192.168.1.81
> Physical computer's Gateway: 192.168.1.110
>
> all pretty much as I would expect.
>
> *However*:
> Virtual machine's IP: 192.168.131.65
> Virtual machine's Gateway: 192.168.131.254

Well at least that is not in the "windows can't find an address, so its
going to make one up" range you sometimes get!

If you do ipconfig /all on the "real" pc, do you see multiple addresses
allocated to any of the network adaptors? (might be worth doing the same
on the virtual box as well to see if it gives any clues)

(on my system the virtual PC creates some pseudo network interfaces on
the real PC. The virtual PCs also get their own mac addresses - they
don't share that of the real nic)

What about a "route /print" on both real and virtual PCs

> It's as though there is a virtual DHCP server which is dishing out addresses
> from the 131 subnet instead of the 1 subnet to virtual machine(s)
>
> Anyone seen anything like this?

The ipconfig /all should list the DHCP server that yielded the address.

--
Cheers,

John.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last