From: dkelvey on
Hi
My printer finally did it self in.
I did some searching over the net on this one but didn't find
much technical information on what exactly is failing.
The HP site isn't much help either.
I know it is a mechanical failure inthe ink system but that
is about it.
When I first opened things up, the pump was not turning
too freely. I rocked it backand forth an now it seems
OK but there may still be a failure inside.
I've tried the magic OK and Help button to reset. This
seems to work OK except after each try, it lowers the
amount of yellow ink it thinks it has.
I suspect this may be part of the failure because shaking
the yellow container, it seems to have plenty of ink.
I'm guessing a couple of problems.
One is that the pump is not effective at moving the yellow
ink and the printer thinks that because it had to turn the
pump so long that it must have gone through a lot of yellow ink.
The other is that there is a jammed broken oneway valve for that
ink and the pressure doesn't hold.
After reset,and wasting a lot of yellow ink, it does print for
some time, at least the test sheets. After about 3 or 4
minutes, it brings back the 0xc18a0306 message.
Any one have any experience with this one? I figure
I'll need to buy a new printer so I have no issue with
ripping this one apart to see what is failing. I've had
the covers of already and given it a basic look but
so far, I don't see much that looks bad.
Dwight
From: Al on
On Dec 20, 2:27 pm, "dkel...(a)hotmail.com" <dkel...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>  My printer finally did it self in.
>  I did some searching over the net on this one but didn't find
> much technical information on what exactly is failing.
>  The HP site isn't much help either.
>  I know it is a mechanical failure inthe ink system but that
> is about it.
>  When I first opened things up, the pump was not turning
> too freely. I rocked it backand forth an now it seems
> OK but there may still be a failure inside.
> I've tried the magic OK and Help button to reset. This
> seems to work OK except after each try, it lowers the
> amount of yellow ink it thinks it has.
>  I suspect this may be part of the failure because shaking
> the yellow container, it seems to have plenty of ink.
>  I'm guessing a couple of problems.
>  One is that the pump is not effective at moving the yellow
> ink and the printer thinks that because it had to turn the
> pump so long that it must have gone through a lot of yellow ink.
>  The other is that there is a jammed broken oneway valve for that
> ink and the pressure doesn't hold.
>  After reset,and wasting a lot of yellow ink, it does print for
> some time, at least the test sheets. After about 3 or 4
> minutes, it brings back the 0xc18a0306 message.
>  Any one have any experience with this one? I figure
> I'll need to buy a new printer so I have no issue with
> ripping this one apart to see what is failing. I've had
> the covers of already and given it a basic look but
> so far, I don't see much that looks bad.
> Dwight

I like your attitude Dwight. I wish I had a magic answer. You are
doing what I do. If I can't fix it myself with no parts expense, I
move on.
I'd be interested on what the total engine count is on that machine.
I just Googled and there are many posts about this error message. Here
are two answers:
1. Get the unit into the “Support Menu” by following the steps below :
A. - Press and hold the “left arrow” key.
B. - Press the “Setup” key and release both keys.
Display should say “Enter Special Key Combo”
C. - Press and release the “OK” button.
Display should say “Support” and display the FW rev (something like
R0616R)
2. Press and release the right arrow button until the display says
“System Configuration Menu”.
3. Press and release the “OK” button.
4. Display should say “Hardware failure status”. If not there already,
Arrow Key over to “Hardware failure status”,
5. Press and release the “OK” button.
6. Display should say “Hardware failure status: Clear. Press OK to
clear”.
7. Press and release the “OK” Button. Message changes to “Hardware
failure status Cleared. Press Cancel to continue”.
8. Press and release the “CANCEL” button as many times as necessary,
so that, either the “Welcome to Photosmart Express” screen appears,
or, the “Ink System Failure” screen appears. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO
PRINT AT THIS STAGE.
9. Using the Power Button, turn the unit OFF and unplug the power
cable from back of the printer and wall outlet.
10. Wait 30 seconds for the power to get discharged and then plug the
power cable into the wall outlet first and then into the back of the
printer
11. Turn the unit on. The printer may display message “USE POWER
BUTTON TO SHUTDOWN THE PRINTER” followed by “PRESS OK TO CONTINUE”.
Press OK. The Printer will start the “ONE TIME INK INITIALIZATION
PROCESS”. Allow this process to complete and do not interrupt. Once
the initialization process is complete, the printer will print out a
Diagnostic Page.
12. To verify printer functionality print a SELF TEST PAGE. If SELF
TEST prints, then printer is ready for use or Software Installation.

And another>
Issue An 0xc18xxxxx or 0xc19xxxxx ink system error code displays on
the front panel. The printer cannot copy, receive faxes, or print.
Solution

1. Press the On button to turn the printer off.
2. Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.
3. Remove all the ink cartridges.
4. Wait two minutes.
5. Plug the power cord into the back of the printer.
6. Press the On button to turn the printer on.
7. Install the ink cartridges when prompted.

If the error code does not display, the issue is resolved. If the
0xc18xxxxx or 0xc19xxxxx ink system error code displays on the front
panel, service the printer.
From: dkelvey on
On Dec 20, 2:48 pm, Al <albun...(a)mailinator.com> wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2:27 pm, "dkel...(a)hotmail.com" <dkel...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Hi
> >  My printer finally did it self in.
> >  I did some searching over the net on this one but didn't find
> > much technical information on what exactly is failing.
> >  The HP site isn't much help either.
> >  I know it is a mechanical failure inthe ink system but that
> > is about it.
> >  When I first opened things up, the pump was not turning
> > too freely. I rocked it backand forth an now it seems
> > OK but there may still be a failure inside.
> > I've tried the magic OK and Help button to reset. This
> > seems to work OK except after each try, it lowers the
> > amount of yellow ink it thinks it has.
> >  I suspect this may be part of the failure because shaking
> > the yellow container, it seems to have plenty of ink.
> >  I'm guessing a couple of problems.
> >  One is that the pump is not effective at moving the yellow
> > ink and the printer thinks that because it had to turn the
> > pump so long that it must have gone through a lot of yellow ink.
> >  The other is that there is a jammed broken oneway valve for that
> > ink and the pressure doesn't hold.
> >  After reset,and wasting a lot of yellow ink, it does print for
> > some time, at least the test sheets. After about 3 or 4
> > minutes, it brings back the 0xc18a0306 message.
> >  Any one have any experience with this one? I figure
> > I'll need to buy a new printer so I have no issue with
> > ripping this one apart to see what is failing. I've had
> > the covers of already and given it a basic look but
> > so far, I don't see much that looks bad.
> > Dwight
>
> I like your attitude Dwight. I wish I had a magic answer. You are
> doing what I do. If I can't fix it myself with no parts expense, I
> move on.
> I'd be interested on what the total engine count is on that machine.
> I just Googled and there are many posts about this error message. Here
> are two answers:
> 1. Get the unit into the “Support Menu” by following the steps below :
> A. - Press and hold the “left arrow” key.

---snip---

> And another>
> Issue An 0xc18xxxxx or 0xc19xxxxx ink system error code displays on
> the front panel. The printer cannot copy, receive faxes, or print.
> Solution
>
>    1. Press the On button to turn the printer off.
>    2. Unplug the power cord from the back of the printer.
>    3. Remove all the ink cartridges.
>    4. Wait two minutes.
>    5. Plug the power cord into the back of the printer.
>    6. Press the On button to turn the printer on.
>    7. Install the ink cartridges when prompted.

---snip---

Hi
The first one is really for a different printer. Mine doesn't have a
key pad
to enter such things in. That is for the model with the fax built in.
The HP
guy tried to use that on my wife but she is not a computer dummy
either.
I've tried the others as well.
There is a real failure on my machine, I just need to figure it out.
I made some progress on my understanding. I think I know
a little more how it works.
The pump is bidirectional. There is a small reservoir in the print
head.
When it detects that one of the reservoirs gets low, it pumps all the
ink
back into all the cartrages. Once it empties them, it must note when
the ink stops going past the pump. It looks like there is a sensor
on the pump to tell it when it is finished. Maybe it just notes when
the reservoir is empty but I'm not sure. It some how measures them.
It can then keep track of which cartrage used the amounts of
ink and write to the chip in each cartrage( That is really bad for my
cartrage because the yellow is still full of ink, just it has set that
nasty chip ).
There are two sets vent valves on the top of the print head.
I suspect that one is a direct vent to the reservoir while the
other is most likely a vent to a diaphram. At least that is
my guess so far.
I can clearly see that there is no yellow ink in the tube
going to the print head at the print head. I can see it
at the pump. I suspect a clog someplace in the print head.
That would explain why it seemed to print the test sheet
OK. There is still yellow ink in the reservoir, at least enough
to print with, while someplace between the cartrage and
the print head there is a blockage.
I've got the pump out far enough to see that it looks
to be working OK. I just have to clear what ever is blocking
the flow.
It would be nice if HP published exactly which color was
failing and which sensor it detected it at. The error codes
are typically just the address of the processor when it
detected a problem and not good for much without a decoder
ring. I susect it might even tell one which color is
at fault.
Dwight
From: Al on
On Dec 21, 1:41 am, "dkel...(a)hotmail.com" <dkel...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2:48 pm, Al <albun...(a)mailinator.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 20, 2:27 pm, "dkel...(a)hotmail.com" <dkel...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>  It would be nice if HP published exactly which color was
> failing and which sensor it detected it at. The error codes
> are typically just the address of the processor when it
> detected a problem and not good for much without a decoder
> ring. I susect it might even tell one which color is
> at fault.
> Dwight

Yes, you will need to purchase the Wheat Chex to get the ring. Corn
Chex has the watch and Rice Chex has the spy pen.
From: Al on
On Dec 21, 1:01 pm, "dkel...(a)hotmail.com" <dkel...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi

> Maybe someone more clever than I will figure out from my adventures
> what have REALLY happened? Keep trying folks!
>
> BTW, in the abovementioned menu there's a place where you can check
> your inks' serial number and their status (Information menu->pen
> supply serial number (SN) and Information menu->pen supply level of
> ink (LOI) ). Before my trick the black ink serial was probably the
> same it is now (curse me, I didn't write the number down), but the LOI
> status HAS changed from "empty" to "OK". So, to put this all short:
> there definitely IS a way to change the LOI status of an ink by
> following SOME procedure not involving taping any contacts on the ink,
> using professional ink resetters etc., e.g. purely from the level of
> the control board of the printer. I'd be as happy as you to find out
> what could it be.
>
> Greetings,
> Lamesz

What you proved is that you really did not have a hardware failure.
You stumbled on to a software work-around. If it happens again, you
will surely document how to get through again.
Let us know how it works out. I have had my hopes dashed by HP before
when such fixes proved to be temporary.