From: Dirk Bell on
On Jul 15, 9:53 am, fatalist <simfid...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 14, 10:54 pm, "bharat pathak" <bharat(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.arithos.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
>
> >     I have background in DSP both theory as well
> >     as practical. But I do not have much experience
> >     in the area of wireless or digital communications.
>
> >     Could someone help me define a problem that
> >     could be taken up as work towards successful
> >     completion of PhD?
>
> >     I am looking for problems related to wireless/ofdm.
>
> > Thanks,
> > Bharat
>
> PhD ???
>
> Why ???
>
> Here is a good one to read before you start wasting your time and
> (hopefully other people's) money getting your "Piled Higher & Deeper"
> degree
>
> http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1329

4 years ago I checked the IEEE salary website, and all other things
being equal about my qualifications, having a PhD (which I don't) vs a
Masters (which I do) was worth an extra $10K (US) per year in salary.
A PhD also opens a lot of doors to opportunities that it may not
qualify you for (you may have already been qualified, or just as
qualified without it). It is often a quick way into a supervisory/
executive role if you want that. Also, you get a certain amount of
credibility whether it is deserved or not.

I actually regret not getting one when I was much younger.

Dirk
From: fatalist on
On Jul 15, 12:21 pm, Dirk Bell <bellda2...(a)cox.net> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 9:53 am, fatalist <simfid...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 14, 10:54 pm, "bharat pathak" <bharat(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.arithos.com>
> > wrote:
>
> > > Hello,
>
> > >     I have background in DSP both theory as well
> > >     as practical. But I do not have much experience
> > >     in the area of wireless or digital communications.
>
> > >     Could someone help me define a problem that
> > >     could be taken up as work towards successful
> > >     completion of PhD?
>
> > >     I am looking for problems related to wireless/ofdm.
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > Bharat
>
> > PhD ???
>
> > Why ???
>
> > Here is a good one to read before you start wasting your time and
> > (hopefully other people's) money getting your "Piled Higher & Deeper"
> > degree
>
> >http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1329
>
> 4 years ago I checked the IEEE salary website, and all other things
> being equal about my qualifications, having a PhD (which I don't) vs a
> Masters (which I do) was worth an extra $10K (US) per year in salary.
> A PhD also opens a lot of doors to opportunities that it may not
> qualify you for (you may have already been qualified, or just as
> qualified without it).  It is often a quick way into a supervisory/
> executive role if you want that. Also, you get a certain amount of
> credibility whether it is deserved or not.
>
> I actually regret not getting one when I was much younger.
>
> Dirk- Hide quoted text -

"I actually regret not getting one when I was much younger. "

Well, don't regret

But, of course, in those good old days of 10K sign-on bonuses to fresh
engineering grads (not just CS/EE PhDs) you might have been able to
secure a nice spot

Not anymore

Nowadays PhD degree itself is worse than useless - it's actually more
of a liability than benefit on your resume.
The phd comics are right.

Engineering is better than science PhD-treatment-wise but not by much
From: Tim Wescott on
On 07/15/2010 09:21 AM, Dirk Bell wrote:
> On Jul 15, 9:53 am, fatalist<simfid...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 14, 10:54 pm, "bharat pathak"<bharat(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.arithos.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>
>>> I have background in DSP both theory as well
>>> as practical. But I do not have much experience
>>> in the area of wireless or digital communications.
>>
>>> Could someone help me define a problem that
>>> could be taken up as work towards successful
>>> completion of PhD?
>>
>>> I am looking for problems related to wireless/ofdm.
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Bharat
>>
>> PhD ???
>>
>> Why ???
>>
>> Here is a good one to read before you start wasting your time and
>> (hopefully other people's) money getting your "Piled Higher& Deeper"
>> degree
>>
>> http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1329
>
> 4 years ago I checked the IEEE salary website, and all other things
> being equal about my qualifications, having a PhD (which I don't) vs a
> Masters (which I do) was worth an extra $10K (US) per year in salary.
> A PhD also opens a lot of doors to opportunities that it may not
> qualify you for (you may have already been qualified, or just as
> qualified without it). It is often a quick way into a supervisory/
> executive role if you want that. Also, you get a certain amount of
> credibility whether it is deserved or not.

When I was working on my BS at Portland State University I knew a guy
who was a trained Air Force electronics technician. He had investigated
the job market, and analyzed the tradeoff between living in a dorm and
eating beans and rice for three or four years while getting a BS degree
and paying tuition, vs. living in a "dorm equivalent" for the same
amount of time while saving like a bandit. He decided that financially
he'd be better off doing the latter, rather than getting his BS. He was
extra happy, because he knew he was getting his BS because he wanted to.

I think the tradeoff for getting a PhD is similar. If I win the lottery
or if some rich relative that I don't even know of kicks the bucket and
leaves me with a pile of cash I'll get a PhD because I _want_ one. But
I'd be a fool to stop working now and go get one.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
On 7/15/2010 11:43 AM, fatalist wrote:

> The ONLY situation where getting PhD is warranted is when you are

Another situation is if one have money already and just want to do a PhD
just for fun of it?

Some people waste years of their life doing worst things than study for
a PhD?

--Nasser
From: fatalist on
On Jul 15, 2:54 pm, "Nasser M. Abbasi" <n...(a)12000.org> wrote:
> On 7/15/2010 11:43 AM, fatalist wrote:
>

> > The ONLY situation where getting PhD is warranted is when you are
>
>  >
>
> Another situation is if one have money already and just want to do a PhD
> just for fun of it?
>
> Some people waste years of their life doing worst things than study for
> a PhD?
>
> --Nasser

Haven't met a single person like this who would spend his money and
time getting himself a PHD without any career considerations, just for
fun

Maybe a PhD in humanities ? But hard sciences and engineering ? You
gotta be kidding...

Buying or faking PhD degree is quite common though...