From: HardySpicer on
On Jul 16, 5:29 am, fatalist <simfid...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 15, 12:21 pm, Dirk Bell <bellda2...(a)cox.net> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 15, 9:53 am, fatalist <simfid...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > PhD ???
>
> > > Why ???
>
> > > Here is a good one to read before you start wasting your time and
> > > (hopefully other people's) money getting your "Piled Higher & Deeper"
> > > degree
>
> > >http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=1329
>
> > 4 years ago I checked the IEEE salary website, and all other things
> > being equal about my qualifications, having a PhD (which I don't) vs a
> > Masters (which I do) was worth an extra $10K (US) per year in salary.
> > A PhD also opens a lot of doors to opportunities that it may not
> > qualify you for (you may have already been qualified, or just as
> > qualified without it).  It is often a quick way into a supervisory/
> > executive role if you want that. Also, you get a certain amount of
> > credibility whether it is deserved or not.
>
> > I actually regret not getting one when I was much younger.
>
> > Dirk- Hide quoted text -

> "I actually regret not getting one when I was much younger. "
>
> Well, don't regret
>
> But, of course, in those good old days of 10K sign-on bonuses to fresh
> engineering grads (not just CS/EE PhDs) you might have been able to
> secure a nice spot
>
> Not anymore
>
> Nowadays PhD degree itself is worse than useless - it's actually more
> of a liability than benefit on your resume.
> The phd comics are right.
>
> Engineering is better than science PhD-treatment-wise but not by much

This is crazy. For a research career you need a Ph.D. For a career as
a design engineer you will end up being more useful to society
(probably) and you don't need one. If you are teaching to Masters
level then obviously you need a one step higher qualification.
It's an educators/pure research based qualification. You cannot
compare a Ph.D to what industry needs unless you consider maybe IBM
research or At & T etc. Apples and Oranages...

Hardy
From: HardySpicer on
On Jul 16, 7:59 am, "Pete Fraser" <pfra...(a)covad.net> wrote:
> "Dirk Bell" <bellda2...(a)cox.net> wrote in message

> > I actually regret not getting [a PhD]
>
> I don't.
> I decided I could probably learn more in my first job
> than I could by doing a PhD. I think that was the
> correct decision. I think I lucked out with a great
> first job though.
>
> Pete

Just remember that the majority of the work you guys do in industry is
based not on the work of real engineers but by the theory produced by
pure scientists and engineers who have Ph.Ds - from Kalman to
Widorw,Wiener,Nquist,Bode, Shannon - I could go on and on. Now don't
say that was the "good old days" and Ph.D's ain't what they used to be
because that is nonsense.
People who do Ph.Ds are normally among the top in their class and
could work in industry if they needed to (in the early years) so they
aren't practically useless either. I appreciate what real engineers do
however and am grateful for the explanation of years of experience in
industry which is equally of great use to us all.

Hardy
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

HardySpicer wrote:

> On Jul 16, 2:33 am, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>bharat pathak wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>
>>> I have background in DSP both theory as well
>>> as practical. But I do not have much experience
>>> in the area of wireless or digital communications.
>>
>>> Could someone help me define a problem that
>>> could be taken up as work towards successful
>>> completion of PhD?
>>
>>> I am looking for problems related to wireless/ofdm.
>>
>>Sure. Get PhD online. It will be mailed it to you.
>>
>>PhD is not an award in appreciation of your brilliance, but something
>>that they give to you in exchange for the specific piece of work that
>>you did for them. It is a sort of employee-employer relationship. Start
>>with finding the university people who would sponsor and back up your work.
>>

> There speaks a man sans Ph.D methinks...

What was the name of Disney Duck character, who used to collect signs of
achievement and membership badges?

VLV

From: Pete Fraser on
"HardySpicer" <gyansorova(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Jul 16, 7:59 am, "Pete Fraser" <pfra...(a)covad.net> wrote:

>> I don't [regret not getting a PhD].
>> I decided I could probably learn more in my first job
>> than I could by doing a PhD. I think that was the
>> correct decision. I think I lucked out with a great
>> first job though.

> Just remember that the majority of the work you guys do in industry is
> based not on the work of real engineers but by the theory produced by
> pure scientists and engineers who have Ph.Ds

I honestly believe that I did more and more interesting
work in my first five years with a real job, than I would have
done in a PhD program.

> People who do Ph.Ds are normally among the top in their class and
> could work in industry if they needed to (in the early years) so they
> aren't practically useless either.

There were a few folks with PhDs at my first job, but most just
had a BSc. They were the brightest bunch of folks I've ever
worked with, and did a load of original research.

They used to say (only half joking) that if an applicant had a First in
maths or physics, knew how to solder, and had rebuilt a car engine,
they'd get the job.

Pete

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Pete Fraser wrote:
> "HardySpicer" <gyansorova(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>On Jul 16, 7:59 am, "Pete Fraser" <pfra...(a)covad.net> wrote:
>

>>>I don't [regret not getting a PhD].
>>>I decided I could probably learn more in my first job
>>>than I could by doing a PhD. I think that was the
>>>correct decision. I think I lucked out with a great
>>>first job though.
>

>>Just remember that the majority of the work you guys do in industry is
>>based not on the work of real engineers but by the theory produced by
>>pure scientists and engineers who have Ph.Ds
>

> I honestly believe that I did more and more interesting
> work in my first five years with a real job, than I would have
> done in a PhD program.
>

>>People who do Ph.Ds are normally among the top in their class and
>>could work in industry if they needed to (in the early years) so they
>>aren't practically useless either.
>

> There were a few folks with PhDs at my first job, but most just
> had a BSc. They were the brightest bunch of folks I've ever
> worked with, and did a load of original research.
>
> They used to say (only half joking) that if an applicant had a First in
> maths or physics, knew how to solder, and had rebuilt a car engine,
> they'd get the job.

If that matters, I had rebuilt a car engine, too.

VLV