From: Nasser M. Abbasi on
On 7/15/2010 12:04 PM, fatalist wrote:

>> Another situation is if one have money already and just want to do a PhD
>> just for fun of it?
>>
>> Some people waste years of their life doing worst things than study for
>> a PhD?
>>
>> --Nasser
>

> Haven't met a single person like this who would spend his money and
> time getting himself a PHD without any career considerations, just for
> fun

May be there are some people out there who enjoy learning science just
for the sake of it, and they do not care about making too much money?
and being a big manager with a big office? If you have not met one,
does not mean they do not exist?

> Maybe a PhD in humanities ? But hard sciences and engineering ? You
> gotta be kidding...

Well, some people enjoy doing calculations all day. Different strokes
for different folks? May be it is genetics what one likes.

> Buying or faking PhD degree is quite common though...

Only if the purpose was the piece of paper itself.

--Nasser

From: fatalist on
On Jul 14, 10:54 pm, "bharat pathak" <bharat(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.arithos.com>
wrote:
> Hello,
>
>     I have background in DSP both theory as well
>     as practical. But I do not have much experience
>     in the area of wireless or digital communications.
>
>     Could someone help me define a problem that
>     could be taken up as work towards successful
>     completion of PhD?
>
>     I am looking for problems related to wireless/ofdm.
>
> Thanks,
> Bharat

Just read what Larry Rabiner said about the state of DSP field years
ago

http://www.ieeeghn.org/wikitest/index.php/Oral-History:Lawrence_Rabiner

Don't kid youself, dude

Chances are nobody will ever read or use your PhD thesis
From: Pete Fraser on
"Dirk Bell" <bellda2005(a)cox.net> wrote in message

> I actually regret not getting [a PhD]

I don't.
I decided I could probably learn more in my first job
than I could by doing a PhD. I think that was the
correct decision. I think I lucked out with a great
first job though.

Pete

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Pete Fraser wrote:

> "Dirk Bell" <bellda2005(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>

>>I actually regret not getting [a PhD]
>

> I don't.
> I decided I could probably learn more in my first job
> than I could by doing a PhD. I think that was the
> correct decision. I think I lucked out with a great
> first job though.

I am surprised nobody yet mentioned that PhD is the necessary element of
the job in academia. Academic lifestyle has its merits.

VLV
From: HardySpicer on
On Jul 16, 2:33 am, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> bharat pathak wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> >     I have background in DSP both theory as well
> >     as practical. But I do not have much experience
> >     in the area of wireless or digital communications.
>
> >     Could someone help me define a problem that
> >     could be taken up as work towards successful
> >     completion of PhD?
>
> >     I am looking for problems related to wireless/ofdm.
>
> Sure. Get PhD online. It will be mailed it to you.
>
> PhD is not an award in appreciation of your brilliance, but something
> that they give to you in exchange for the specific piece of work that
> you did for them. It is a sort of employee-employer relationship. Start
> with finding the university people who would sponsor and back up your work.
>
> VLV

There speaks a man sans Ph.D methinks...