From: CharlieSomerset on
Hello all:
Summary = disabled entries in start up menu, messed around with BIOS, cannot
get into safe mode now! Idiot.

Details = installed a new printer last week (Dell 1320cn) and PC then slowed
down. I therefore disabled the entries relating to Dell in my start up menu,
using CCleaner. Now the boot process gets as far as “4 devices IN – WIN
iAPP” then “Checking NVRAM” then goes to the “We apologise for the
inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully…” At that point it
offers me options of: Safe mode or Safe mode with networking or Safe mode
with command prompt or Last Known Good Configuration or Start windows
normally. The SWN is the one highlighted, and the arrows will not allow me
to move and select any other choice.

I've used F2 > Setup and adjusted boot preferences to start from a CD,
expecting to be able to use my slipstreamed XP + SP2 disc. PC tries to start
that way, displaying “Choose any key to boot from CD” but when I do hit any
key, it returns to the screen above with the options that I again cannot
choose. I've reset the BIOS to 1st choice boot = HDD

I cannot get past this screen, in order to reopen CCleaner and enable the
Dell entries.

BIOS is P4i656 P1.30. Machine is XP + SP3. AV is Trend Micro Internet
Security 2009 and I did a full scan only the other day. Just scheduled, not
because I suspected anything. Checked “Hijack this” at the same time – I'm
no expert on that at all but saw nothing untoward.

All help gratefully accepted!

From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"CharlieSomerset" <CharlieSomerset(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:5F4895A6-55CD-42C5-8039-EC01F99E3537(a)microsoft.com...
> Hello all:
> Summary = disabled entries in start up menu, messed around with BIOS,
> cannot
> get into safe mode now! Idiot.
>
> Details = installed a new printer last week (Dell 1320cn) and PC then
> slowed
> down. I therefore disabled the entries relating to Dell in my start up
> menu,
> using CCleaner. Now the boot process gets as far as “4 devices IN – WIN
> iAPP” then “Checking NVRAM” then goes to the “We apologise for the
> inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully…” At that point it
> offers me options of: Safe mode or Safe mode with networking or Safe mode
> with command prompt or Last Known Good Configuration or Start windows
> normally. The SWN is the one highlighted, and the arrows will not allow
> me
> to move and select any other choice.
>
> I've used F2 > Setup and adjusted boot preferences to start from a CD,
> expecting to be able to use my slipstreamed XP + SP2 disc. PC tries to
> start
> that way, displaying “Choose any key to boot from CD” but when I do hit
> any
> key, it returns to the screen above with the options that I again cannot
> choose. I've reset the BIOS to 1st choice boot = HDD
>
> I cannot get past this screen, in order to reopen CCleaner and enable the
> Dell entries.
>
> BIOS is P4i656 P1.30. Machine is XP + SP3. AV is Trend Micro Internet
> Security 2009 and I did a full scan only the other day. Just scheduled,
> not
> because I suspected anything. Checked “Hijack this” at the same time – I'm
> no expert on that at all but saw nothing untoward.
>
> All help gratefully accepted!

You might be yet another victim of the registry "cleaning" function of
CCleaner. A manual System Restore might help you - see here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545.

From: CharlieSomerset on
Thanks Pegasus - I can't get that far, I'm afraid. The clock starts ticking
on the "Start Windows Normally" option and when it runs down, the PC loops
right back to the initiual powerup mode, and then I come back to the "We
apologise for the inconvenience..." screen. I'd just like to get past that
screen, to be able to access sytem restore.

From: John John - MVP on
You need to boot to the Recovery Console (with your Windows XP CD) to
carry out the instructions in article 307545.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console for advanced users
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

John

From: CharlieSomerset on
Thanks JohnJohn - I'll give that a go. Do I need to adjust the BIOS to
accept the CD as 1st choice in boot order preference ?