From: Marc Auslander on
"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> writes:

> DotCom2 wrote:
>> Ok so then I went in and deleted that payee and cancelled the online
>> payment I had set up for them.
>> Now I go to set them up as a new payee again and it says that this
>> payee has already been set up in Quicken and to give it a new name! How
>> can I give it a new name since the name has to be "Lexus
>> Financial Services"? I can't just name them something else!
>> So now what to do ?
>
> You need to use a new payee name.

IIRC, after you "delete" the payee, you need to do an update with your
bank. Quicken then believes that the payee is really gone, and you
can reuse the name.
From: BobLeavitt on

"Marc Auslander" <marcslists(a)gmail.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message news:87typ3k9qz.fsf(a)aptiva.optonline.net...
> "John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> writes:
>

> IIRC, after you "delete" the payee, you need to do an update with your
> bank. Quicken then believes that the payee is really gone, and you
> can reuse the name.

Could you kindly explain what you mean by "do an update with your bank"? An update of what? Thank you.
From: BobLeavitt on

"John Pollard" <8plus7isf(a)gmail.com> wrote in message news:hv65ji$edf$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
> DotCom2 wrote:
>> I had an online payment set up to be paid to Lexus Financial on June
>> 28th. I received a letter from Lexus saying that out account number had
>> changed and to make necessary adjustments so I went into online
>> payees and clicked on Edit but it said I could not edit a payment
>> that has already been scheduled for payment. Soooo I cancelled that
>> payment and went online and it did indeed cancel it. But now I able
>> to go to Edit the payee but I can only edit the Address field. I
>> want to edit the account number sections but I can't! It's grayed
>> out so how would I go about changing the account number for an
>> already established payee?
>
> You can't change the account number of an online payee; you have to create
> a new online payee.
>
> http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/using-quicken/income-and-expenses/2903.html
>
> http://quicken.intuit.com/support/articles/using-quicken/income-and-expenses/5730.html
>

> John Pollard
> Your source of user-to-user Quicken help

If I recall correctly, I changed an account number by editing the existing the online payee to add something (anything you want) in the Description field immediately below the payee Name and saving it. Then I set up a new online payee with the same name, address and new account number, but with nothing in the description field. Having something in the description field apparently causes Quicken to think the payee name is different.
From: Marc Auslander on
"BobLeavitt" <robertl101(a)hotmail.com> writes:

> Could you kindly explain what you mean by "do an update with your bank"? An update of what? Thank you.
I am assuming you use quicken to download and schedule payments with
the account in question - because otherwise why would you be
interested in payee information. And you use one-step update, or
explicit updates, to post payments and download transactions.

So do an update. Even if there are no transactions to download or
payments to make. update-now appears on my quicken 2008 screen as an
option for each account. I'm sure you see something similar.g