From: smlunatick on
On Oct 29, 7:25 am, Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] <meiweb@(nospam)gmx.de>
wrote:
> Hello aa,
>
> There is no need to change a MAC address in your computer. MAC addresses
> are unique all over the world, depending on a company code and the internal
> numbering of the company.
>
> I have never heard that an ISP uses MAC addresses from clients. Please be
> more specific what your problem is and also talk to your ISP to free the
> MAC address, if this is really used from the ISP, which i can not really
> believe.
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!!http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
> > is there a way to change physical address of Ethernet Adapter which
> > shows up in ipconfig /all  like 00-11-2F-00-11-2D  ?
>
> > My Internet provider uses this address to set something on their end
> > manually. For the moment I am testing another computer and every time
> > I switch between the two computers I have to call the provider

Some ISPs detect the MAC address and lock their service access to that
specific one. Routers usually have a feature which allows you to
"copy" this MAC address onto the WAN port.
From: Sid Elbow on
Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] wrote:

> I have never heard that an ISP uses MAC addresses from clients.

Rogers in Canada uses (or used to) the mac address as a way of limiting
their services to a single machine (extra machines at extra cost of
course). Routers are/were not allowed. If you change machines, you have
to inform them so they can reset the acceptable mac address at their
end. The internet infrastructure in Canada is essentially controlled by
a few powerful entities: Bell (for dsl) and Rogers or Shaw (for cable)
and restrictive practices such as these are common. It probably accounts
for Canada having fallen so far behind the rest of the world in this area.

In principle Rogers did the same with their cable-tv signal - only one
TV connection allowed (unless Rogers added extra outlets at extra cost).
From: John John - MVP on
Sid Elbow wrote:
> Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] wrote:
>
>> I have never heard that an ISP uses MAC addresses from clients.
>
> Rogers in Canada uses (or used to) the mac address as a way of limiting
> their services to a single machine (extra machines at extra cost of
> course). Routers are/were not allowed. If you change machines, you have
> to inform them so they can reset the acceptable mac address at their
> end. The internet infrastructure in Canada is essentially controlled by
> a few powerful entities: Bell (for dsl) and Rogers or Shaw (for cable)
> and restrictive practices such as these are common. It probably accounts
> for Canada having fallen so far behind the rest of the world in this area.

I have a Rogers broadband connection at my residence and I have not had
any problems with this, the only MAC address that matters is the one on
the modem. I have plugged different machines directly in the modem and
haven't had any problems, the different machines all connected to the
internet without problems. Routers are certainly allowed, I just
recently moved and the Rogers tech who came to wire the house knows that
I have a router because he plugged the modem into it! Rogers support
also knows that I have a router because a while ago I told them during a
phone support conversation... (when they decided to hijack the DNS
server to point to their spam server), they didn't say anything about my
having a router... and if you don't tell them and change the router's
MAC address they wouldn't have a clue about it!

John
From: Nil on
On 29 Oct 2009, John John - MVP <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> As others have said it is somewhat strange that your ISP would be
> using your adapter's MAC address to deliver its service to you.

It's not at all strange. It used to be the norm, but most ISPs are
getting away from it. Comcast did it in stages - some areas continued
to have their service tied to a specific MAC while others didn't. I'm
not at all surprised that the OP's ISP still uses that accounting
method.
From: John John - MVP on
Nil wrote:
> On 29 Oct 2009, John John - MVP <audetweld(a)nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in
> microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>
>> As others have said it is somewhat strange that your ISP would be
>> using your adapter's MAC address to deliver its service to you.
>
> It's not at all strange. It used to be the norm, but most ISPs are
> getting away from it. Comcast did it in stages - some areas continued
> to have their service tied to a specific MAC while others didn't. I'm
> not at all surprised that the OP's ISP still uses that accounting
> method.

I know that at one time ISP's wanted (or tried) to collect for 'every'
machine that connected to their network, they wanted to assign a
different IP address to all the devices that connected to their network
but NAT threw a wrench in those gears. That some ISPs in this day and
age would still try to accomplish this by way of MAC addressing seems
rather pointless to me when you put routers in the picture.

John