From: aa on
is there a way to change physical address of Ethernet Adapter which shows up
in ipconfig /all like 00-11-2F-00-11-2D ?

My Internet provider uses this address to set something on their end
manually. For the moment I am testing another computer and every time I
switch between the two computers I have to call the provider

From: VanguardLH on
aa wrote:

> is there a way to change physical address of Ethernet Adapter which shows up
> in ipconfig /all like 00-11-2F-00-11-2D ?
>
> My Internet provider uses this address to set something on their end
> manually. For the moment I am testing another computer and every time I
> switch between the two computers I have to call the provider

How to do this might differ in different versions of Windows - something
you didn't mention and further confused by multi-posting to newsgroups
that discuss DIFFERENT versions of Windows.

Device Manager
Select your NIC
In its properties, change its network address.

From: Paul on
aa wrote:
> is there a way to change physical address of Ethernet Adapter which shows up
> in ipconfig /all like 00-11-2F-00-11-2D ?
>
> My Internet provider uses this address to set something on their end
> manually. For the moment I am testing another computer and every time I
> switch between the two computers I have to call the provider

Isn't that your MAC (media access controller) address ?

Maybe what you want, is "MAC address spoofing".
That is a way to get a computer to have the same
MAC address as another. Obviously a bad thing to do,
if both computers are hooked together to the same
networking device. But if you're swapping computers,
and the other computer isn't being used, then spoofing
should be OK. (The MAC address may be part of Windows
activation, and I don't know whether spoofing counts
as "one hardware change" or not.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_spoofing

http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/

I don't have a cable modem, but I understand that some
ISPs use the MAC address as some kind of authentication.
Normally, to avoid a situation like this, you'd connect
a home router to the cable modem, and the router, having
a fixed and unchanging MAC address, allows you to connect
computers on the LAN side of the router, without worrying
about stuff like this. With this setup, I wouldn't need
to phone anyone.

cable_modem -------- router ----- home_computer_#1
(fixed ----- home_computer_#2
MAC) ----- etc

HTH,
Paul

From: Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS] on
Hello aa,

There is no need to change a MAC address in your computer. MAC addresses
are unique all over the world, depending on a company code and the internal
numbering of the company.

I have never heard that an ISP uses MAC addresses from clients. Please be
more specific what your problem is and also talk to your ISP to free the
MAC address, if this is really used from the ISP, which i can not really
believe.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
no rights.

From: John John - MVP on
As others have said it is somewhat strange that your ISP would be using
your adapter's MAC address to deliver its service to you. If that is
truly the case then install a router and your problems will be over, the
ISP will use the router's MAC address and you will be able to
connect/disconnect whatever you want into the router. If you have a
half decent router you can even tell it to adopt the MAC address
presently in use and your ISP will be none the wiser for it.

John