From: Sid Elbow on
aa wrote:

>>> My Internet provider uses this address to set something on their end
>>> manually. For the moment I am testing another computer and every time I
>>> switch between the two computers I have to call the provider
>> Just a thought, since you didn't make it clear: Is the adapter in the
>> original machine integrated into the MB or is it a plug-in card? If it's
>> the latter of course, you could simply switch it between machines for
>> the duration of your testing. (Bit of a chore but not *too* bad and
>> better that calling the isp each time).

> These are two standard destops of the same model and swapping the adapters
> cards is possible, but as u rightly pointed out, calling ISP is easier

..... actually, I was pointing out that *swapping netcards* is arguably
easier than calling the isp each time (going through the call-in menu,
waiting on hold, listening to the isp telling you they have better
things to do than keep changing mac addresses for you and then waiting
while they do it). Most people just leave the covers off the machines
while testing so it only takes a minute or so (literally) to swap cards.
Heck, you don't even *have* to put the card retaining screw in each time
on a temporary basis.
From: Paul Randall on

"Sid Elbow" <here(a)there.com> wrote in message
> aa wrote:
>
>> It's not just a cost, it is time to buy it, space on the desk and an
>> exctra
>> electrical socket - I already have too many of these
>
> I know what you mean - and it's not just sockets per se. Most of my
> equipment is in the two back bedrooms on the top floor of my house. The
> whole area is fed off one electical circuit!

There is a handy gadget called 'kill a watt' which could help you verify
whether your worst fears about this potential overload are justified. It
plugs into a socket and you can plug one thing into it; I plug in a multi
outlet strip so I can see the load of all the stuff one might have on a
circuit. When plugged into a socket, it can display one thing at a time
ranging from voltage, Watts, Volt-Amps, frequency, power factor,
hours/minutes since powered-up, and Kilowatt hours used since powered up.
Fry's Electronics has priced it from about $15 to about $30 within the last
12 months.

I find it very handy to find out how much load is being placed on each
outlet and the total for each circuit breaker. I also find it handy to know
how much the voltage drops as more load is placed on each outlet. It should
not drop more than a few volts for large loads like a 1200-watt blow dryer;
I have found sockets/light switches with improperly tightened electrical
connections with these techniques.

There is also a higher priced 'kill a watt EZ', which I find more difficult
to use for simply seeing how much load there is on a circuit.

-Paul Randall

From: 3c273 on
Here are some very clear instructions.
http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/change_mac_w2k.htm
Louis

"aa" <aa(a)microsoft.com> wrote in message

> "VanguardLH" <V(a)nguard.LH> wrote in message
> > Device Manager
> > Select your NIC
> > In its properties, change its network address.
> >
> Tried to follow your instructions on my w2k sp4. There is no NIC there. If
> you mean network adapters, yes there is VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet
Adapter,

From: VanguardLH on
aa wrote:

> VanguardLH wrote ...
>
>> Device Manager
>> Select your NIC
>> In its properties, change its network address.
>
> Tried to follow your instructions on my w2k sp4. There is no NIC
> there. If you mean network adapters, yes there is VIA Rhine II Fast
> Ethernet Adapter, but its properties show niether its network address
> not a buttim to change it

Not all network interface cards/controllers (NIC, aka network adapter)
support software control over what the OS reports as the MAC address for
the device. Apparently yours does not. So go the router solution
mentioned by others where you can either clone the MAC address of one of
your intranet hosts (i.e., the one that got provisioned with your ISP
and is the current one to which they will allow use of their resources).