From: aa on
Sorry, I did not think it is so OS-specific.
W2000 SP4

From: aa on

"Paul" <nospam(a)needed.com> wrote in message news:hcbe9q$59f$1(a)aioe.org...
> Isn't that your MAC (media access controller) address ?
>
> Maybe what you want, is "MAC address spoofing".
> That is a way to get a computer to have the same
> MAC address as another. Obviously a bad thing to do,
> if both computers are hooked together to the same
> networking device. But if you're swapping computers,
> and the other computer isn't being used, then spoofing
> should be OK. (The MAC address may be part of Windows
> activation, and I don't know whether spoofing counts
> as "one hardware change" or not.)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_spoofing
>
> http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/
>
> I don't have a cable modem, but I understand that some
> ISPs use the MAC address as some kind of authentication.
> Normally, to avoid a situation like this, you'd connect
> a home router to the cable modem, and the router, having
> a fixed and unchanging MAC address, allows you to connect
> computers on the LAN side of the router, without worrying
> about stuff like this. With this setup, I wouldn't need
> to phone anyone.
>
> cable_modem -------- router ----- home_computer_#1
> (fixed ----- home_computer_#2
> MAC) ----- etc
>
> HTH,
> Paul
By your description MAC spoofing is just what the doctor ordered. This ISP
did not vive me any login or pw so MAC seemd to be ised instead. These 2
comps are not going to be on network together

From: aa on
I do not know what exactly the ISP did on my computer, but when I attached
another computer and phoned them for settings, they asked for MAC of that
new computer over the phone and in 10 min it worked without me doing
anythoing on my w2k

From: aa on

"smlunatick" <yveslec(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Oct 29, 7:25 am, Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]

Some ISPs detect the MAC address and lock their service access to that
specific one. Routers usually have a feature which allows you to
"copy" this MAC address onto the WAN port.

I have no router. The ISP installed Motorola SB5101E Surfboard cable modem

From: aa on
You are right about TV - this provider provides TV service to me and
recently started offering Internet. I already have their TV cable and a
block which allows it add more cables for Internet