From: Benjamin David Lunt on

"Nathan Baker" <nathancbaker(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Benjamin David Lunt" <zfysz(a)fysnet.net> wrote in message
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I have finally figured out the sequence needed to officially
>> post the FAQ list to these two groups.
>>
>> {confusing, convoluted steps snipped}
>
> Who told you to do it this way??

The official FAQ rules at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/.
To get the FAQ's posted to the *.answers groups, I must
go through a process to be aproved.

Yes, I could simply post the FAQ list to the clax and ala
groups, but the official FAQ list would not be updated
on the faqs.org site.

>> I have noticed that there is an automated posting on the first
>> of the month (or James posts it) to the clax group explaining
>> where the FAQ are located. Do we still want this message to
>> continue to be posted or shall we discontinue this message?
>> Either way is fine for me.
>>

> It is an automated posting.
>
>> Thanks to everyone for their patience while I have been getting
>> this in order. Once I have done so, the FAQ postings should be
>> around the 21st of each month. With this in mind, they may
>> be posted twice this month.
>>

> You might want to add a section for 64-bit material. I have some resource
> links here: http://delicious.com/Evenbit/
>
> Also, you should update the last paragraph of Part I, section 3.1 to:
>
> ,---
> If your ISP does not carry this newsgroup, you can send your post directly
> to the email mentioned above using the following address:
>
> comp-lang-asm-x86(a)moderators.isc.org
>
> or
>
> clax86-submit(a)inspiretomorrow.net
> `---

I have made the note, thank you.
Ben

From: Nathan Baker on

"Frank Kotler" <fbkotler(a)myfairpoint.net> wrote in message

> Well, there are more rules, it seems. Some, but not all, of Ben's FAQ
> posts are not being fully propagated. They don't make it to aioe, for
> example. I thought maybe we were doing something wrong, but couldn't see
> anything. Then I thought "maybe aioe has a size limit". Checked:
>
> http://www.aioe.org/03.html
>
> Sure enough, 32k.

Hmm. I guess we will start rejecting anything above 32k then.

> That explains that. Strangely, the same(?) messages that don't make it to
> aioe don't appear in a.l.a. either. Still puzzling over that one!

Some servers are showing all of them in a.l.a though.

Nathan.

From: Frank Kotler on
Nathan Baker wrote:
> "Frank Kotler" <fbkotler(a)myfairpoint.net> wrote in message
>> Well, there are more rules, it seems. Some, but not all, of Ben's FAQ
>> posts are not being fully propagated. They don't make it to aioe, for
>> example. I thought maybe we were doing something wrong, but couldn't see
>> anything. Then I thought "maybe aioe has a size limit". Checked:
>>
>> http://www.aioe.org/03.html
>>
>> Sure enough, 32k.
>
> Hmm. I guess we will start rejecting anything above 32k then.

Well, maybe not... Do we want to deprive all of our readership of the
benefits of a legitimate post, because of the special restrictions of
one free server? I imagine that other free and low cost servers (what?
you got the *brass* package? only 32k for you!) may have similar
restrictions (or others). Cancel the entire performance 'cause it can't
be heard from the cheap seats?

Alternatives might be to ignore the fact that some servers will reject
it. This has the advantage of being easy. We could split the message
into <32k parts. What if some server crops up that has a 16k limit?

Besides the 32k limit, aioe has a "no html" rule. Back when Chuck passed
away, there was an otherwise legitimate post in the queue in html. Chuck
had told Jim to use his judgment on it. Jim asked me, and I agreed that
it should be approved. I really dislike html in newsgroups, but I
figured it's merely an annoyance, not cause to block communication.
Perhaps we should be more strict about that?

>> That explains that. Strangely, the same(?) messages that don't make it to
>> aioe don't appear in a.l.a. either. Still puzzling over that one!
>>
> Some servers are showing all of them in a.l.a though.

Hmmmm. Well, yes... I'm checking a.l.a. with aioe. Duh!

Anyway, it's not something we're doing wrong, apparently.

Best,
Frank

From: Trifle Menot on
On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 04:14:49 -0500, Frank Kotler
<fbkotler(a)myfairpoint.net> wrote:

>>> http://www.aioe.org/03.html
>>>
>>> Sure enough, 32k.
>>
>> Hmm. I guess we will start rejecting anything above 32k then.
>
>Well, maybe not... Do we want to deprive all of our readership of the
>benefits of a legitimate post, because of the special restrictions of
>one free server? I imagine that other free and low cost servers (what?
>you got the *brass* package? only 32k for you!) may have similar
>restrictions (or others). Cancel the entire performance 'cause it can't
>be heard from the cheap seats?
>
>Alternatives might be to ignore the fact that some servers will reject
>it.

I can see why aioe would limit articles posted thru them, since they
don't require authentication.

But does the limit also apply to articles *not* posted thru them? Why
would it? I thought you post thru Giganews.

--
Web mail, POP3, and SMTP
http://www.beewyz.com/freeaccounts.php

From: Frank Kotler on
Trifle Menot wrote:

> I can see why aioe would limit articles posted thru them, since they
> don't require authentication.
>
> But does the limit also apply to articles *not* posted thru them?

Apparently...

> Why
> would it?

Drive space, I suppose?

> I thought you post thru Giganews.

True. Since there's no authentication, they won't let me "approve" an
article, either.

Best,
Frank