From: AussieRules on
Hi,

I have two vb apps and I want to have them communicate with each other.

For example, one of the apps is the master controller. It manages all the
data, and creates sub sets of data for the other application(sub
application). I want the master application when it has prepared the sub set
of data, to send a message to the sub application so that it knows to go and
do some work.

When the sub application has finished(or to send updates as its doing the
work) I want it to be able to send info back to the master so it knows what
is happening.

the only catch is there will be only one master application but there might
be many sub applications.

Any tips on how to do this. I was simply going to have them share a database
table and updated that but not sure its the best way.

Thanks

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 15.04.2010 02:55, schrieb AussieRules:
> Hi,
>
> I have two vb apps and I want to have them communicate with each other.
>
> For example, one of the apps is the master controller. It manages all the
> data, and creates sub sets of data for the other application(sub
> application). I want the master application when it has prepared the sub set
> of data, to send a message to the sub application so that it knows to go and
> do some work.
>
> When the sub application has finished(or to send updates as its doing the
> work) I want it to be able to send info back to the master so it knows what
> is happening.
>
> the only catch is there will be only one master application but there might
> be many sub applications.
>
> Any tips on how to do this. I was simply going to have them share a database
> table and updated that but not sure its the best way.

"A legacy technology:" ".NET Remoting":
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/72x4h507%28VS.90%29.aspx

"Distributed applications should now be developed using the Windows Communication Foundation (WCF)":
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms735119%28VS.90%29.aspx

--
Armin
From: Michel Posseth [MCP] on

Hmmm,,, ;-|

> "A legacy technology:" ".NET Remoting":

Remoting = WCF or bether Remoting is one of the technologies used in WCF

Just that Ms decided to package webservices and Remoting for marketing
purposes and call it WCF doesn`t make it "legacy"
( Legacy is VB6 :-) ) ,, selling old wine in new packages is how we
Dutch people call that

Michel

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 15.04.2010 19:05, schrieb Michel Posseth [MCP]:

> Hmmm,,, ;-|
>
>> "A legacy technology:" ".NET Remoting":
>

> Remoting = WCF or bether Remoting is one of the technologies used in WCF
>
> Just that Ms decided to package webservices and Remoting for marketing
> purposes and call it WCF doesn`t make it "legacy"
> ( Legacy is VB6 :-) ) ,, selling old wine in new packages is how we
> Dutch people call that

"A legacy technology" was a quote from the linked page:

"This topic is specific to a legacy technology that is retained for backward
compatibility with existing applications and is not recommended for new development.

From: Mr. Arnold on
AussieRules wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two vb apps and I want to have them communicate with each other.
>
> For example, one of the apps is the master controller. It manages all
> the data, and creates sub sets of data for the other application(sub
> application). I want the master application when it has prepared the sub
> set of data, to send a message to the sub application so that it knows
> to go and do some work.

The master is the WCF client application.

> When the sub application has finished(or to send updates as its doing
> the work) I want it to be able to send info back to the master so it
> knows what is happening.

This is the WCF service application an exe hosted on a machine local or
remote.

> the only catch is there will be only one master application but there
> might be many sub applications.

You can have one WCF client call 1-to-many service endpoints in a single
WCF service. Or you can have one WCF service that has many methods in
a single service with just one end-point, but the WCF client must make
the calls to the various methods needed for a particular functionality
needed.

> Any tips on how to do this. I was simply going to have them share a
> database table and updated that but not sure its the best way.

You use WCF client and service using WCF over TCP/IP (remoting), over
Named Pipe or over MSMQ and you send objects -- message, command objects
or data objects if you like between the WCF client and service to act
upon the objects.

You should get yourself a good book on WCF programming there should be
one in VB -- don't have step when trying to learn WCF get a good book
that shows you how.