From: bpuharic on
have laptop running XP. when started up, it hangs at the 'welcome'
screen. I can get it into safe mode and run it from there, but virus
scan finds no problems (of course).

any ideas?

thanks all
From: bpuharic on
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 18:34:23 -0400, bpuharic <wf3h(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>have laptop running XP. when started up, it hangs at the 'welcome'
>screen. I can get it into safe mode and run it from there, but virus
>scan finds no problems (of course).
>
>any ideas?
>
>thanks all

whoops! it's 'vista home premium' edition
From: Jeff Strickland on

"bpuharic" <wf3h(a)comcast.net> wrote in message
> have laptop running XP. when started up, it hangs at the 'welcome'
> screen. I can get it into safe mode and run it from there, but virus
> scan finds no problems (of course).
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks all

My guess is that you need to reload the OS, then get all of the latest
updates and then get the latest drivers. Typically a laptop will have the
recovery files accessible by hitting F12 during boot time.

From: JD on
On 28/04/2010 11:34 PM, bpuharic wrote:
> have laptop running XP. when started up, it hangs at the 'welcome'
> screen. I can get it into safe mode and run it from there, but virus
> scan finds no problems (of course).
>
> any ideas?
>
> thanks all

XP Home or pro ?

in Pro hit F8 like you would to start in safe mode, then enable boot
logging, after the system hangs restart go back into safe mode and read
the C:\WINNT\Ntbtlog.txt file, the last entry is where the problem will
be, ether remove the problem or if it is a system DLL copy it from your
original XP disk you will have to rename it from .DL_ to .dll

JD
From: JD on
On 29/04/2010 12:11 AM, JD wrote:
> On 28/04/2010 11:34 PM, bpuharic wrote:
>> have laptop running XP. when started up, it hangs at the 'welcome'
>> screen. I can get it into safe mode and run it from there, but virus
>> scan finds no problems (of course).
>>
>> any ideas?
>>
>> thanks all
>
> XP Home or pro ?
>
> in Pro hit F8 like you would to start in safe mode, then enable boot
> logging, after the system hangs restart go back into safe mode and read
> the C:\WINNT\Ntbtlog.txt file, the last entry is where the problem will
> be, ether remove the problem or if it is a system DLL copy it from your
> original XP disk you will have to rename it from .DL_ to .dll
>
> JD

Apparently it works for Vista also

JD