From: miso on
On Aug 2, 5:27 pm, "k...(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz>
wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 16:47:25 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
>
> <zapwireDASHgro...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> ><k...(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in message
> >> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 11:12:26 -0700 (PDT), JeffM <jef...(a)email.com> wrote:
> >> No.  The OS must not be *able* to be crashed by an application.  *WHATEVER*
> >> mischief the application tries to get into.
>
> >BSODs are usually caused by a bug in the OS itself -- some user mode
> >application makes a system call, and some driver or other part of the OS
> >doesn't check parameters or whatever and -- poof! -- a bug causes a critical
> >bit of memory to be overwritten or some important process table trashed.
>
> Ok, but that doesn't change the point; *nothing* in user-mode should *ever*
> crash the OS.  This failure was one caused by exactly this (invalid entry).
>
> >What people are really saying is that, "those writing device drivers and the
> >OS itself need to be held to a higher standard than those just writing user
> >mode apps," and I'd agree with that.
>
> Certainly.
>
> >Writing device drivers is also not the
> >kind of thing you usually see beginning programmers do either (there is no,
> >"Windows Device Drivers for Dummies" or "Windows Device Drivers in 24hrs" book
> >out there -- yet).  Nevertheless, over time there have been plenty of buggy
> >drivers written by well-known companies that certainly had the resources to do
> >better.
>
> Like M$.  How many times have they done kernal mode things in user mode?
>
> >E.g., some Creative Labs Sound Blaster drivers would crash and burn
> >on multi-processor PCs, because they didn't bother to appropriate lock and
> >synchronize access to their various queues and other data structures.  They
> >had this problem for years, and chose to ignore it because, up until the point
> >that Intel started putting multiple cores on a single IC (and true
> >multi-processing became inexpensive), it was only high-end users and
> >"enthusists" with dual- or quad-CPU motherboards and Creative felt that was a
> >tiny enough market that they could ignore it. :-(
>
> Creative has always ignored reliability.  Their products have *always* sucked
> as badly as M$, or worse.  I'm surprised they've survived.

Creative survives because everyone else is just as bad. On desktop
linux boxes, the only thing I run are C-media boards. At least the
drivers work.

Firewire devices seem to be very reliable. What did they get right
that USB didn't?
From: Grant on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 17:59:40 -0700 (PDT), "miso(a)sushi.com" <miso(a)sushi.com> wrote:

>On Aug 2, 5:27 pm, "k...(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz>
>wrote:
>> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 16:47:25 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
>>
>> <zapwireDASHgro...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> ><k...(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz> wrote in message
>>
>> >BSODs are usually caused by a bug in the OS itself -- some user mode
>> >application makes a system call, and some driver or other part of the OS
>> >doesn't check parameters or whatever and -- poof! -- a bug causes a critical
>> >bit of memory to be overwritten or some important process table trashed.
>>
>> Ok, but that doesn't change the point; *nothing* in user-mode should *ever*
>> crash the OS.  This failure was one caused by exactly this (invalid entry).
>>
>> >What people are really saying is that, "those writing device drivers and the
>> >OS itself need to be held to a higher standard than those just writing user
>> >mode apps," and I'd agree with that.
>>
>> Certainly.
>>
>> >Writing device drivers is also not the
>> >kind of thing you usually see beginning programmers do either (there is no,
>> >"Windows Device Drivers for Dummies" or "Windows Device Drivers in 24hrs" book
>> >out there -- yet).  Nevertheless, over time there have been plenty of buggy
>> >drivers written by well-known companies that certainly had the resources to do
>> >better.
>>
>> Like M$.  How many times have they done kernal mode things in user mode?
>>
>> >E.g., some Creative Labs Sound Blaster drivers would crash and burn
>> >on multi-processor PCs, because they didn't bother to appropriate lock and
>> >synchronize access to their various queues and other data structures.  They
>> >had this problem for years, and chose to ignore it because, up until the point
>> >that Intel started putting multiple cores on a single IC (and true
>> >multi-processing became inexpensive), it was only high-end users and
>> >"enthusists" with dual- or quad-CPU motherboards and Creative felt that was a
>> >tiny enough market that they could ignore it. :-(
>>
>> Creative has always ignored reliability.  Their products have *always* sucked
>> as badly as M$, or worse.  I'm surprised they've survived.
>
>Creative survives because everyone else is just as bad. On desktop
>linux boxes, the only thing I run are C-media boards. At least the
>drivers work.
>
>Firewire devices seem to be very reliable. What did they get right
>that USB didn't?

USB is simply a souped up keyboard and mouse clocked serial data
interface: 5V, clock, data, 0V down only just so far of shielded
cable. I think USB3 introduces some LVDT lane tricks for the
higher speed link options, like the SATA serial data connection.

Grant.
From: Jim Thompson on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:52:12 +1000, Grant <omg(a)grrr.id.au> wrote:

>On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 17:59:40 -0700 (PDT), "miso(a)sushi.com" <miso(a)sushi.com> wrote:
>
>>On Aug 2, 5:27�pm, "k...(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" <k...(a)att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz>
>>wrote:

>>> Ok, but that doesn't change the point; *nothing* in user-mode should *ever*
>>> crash the OS. �This failure was one caused by exactly this (invalid entry).

>>> Certainly.

>>> Like M$. �How many times have they done kernal mode things in user mode?

>>> Creative has always ignored reliability. �Their products have *always* sucked
>>> as badly as M$, or worse. �I'm surprised they've survived.
>>
>>Creative survives because everyone else is just as bad. On desktop
>>linux boxes, the only thing I run are C-media boards. At least the
>>drivers work.
>>
>>Firewire devices seem to be very reliable. What did they get right
>>that USB didn't?
>
>USB is simply a souped up keyboard and mouse clocked serial data
>interface: 5V, clock, data, 0V down only just so far of shielded
>cable. I think USB3 introduces some LVDT lane tricks for the
>higher speed link options, like the SATA serial data connection.
>
>Grant.

And slew-rate controls to keep the EMI in check... what I have the
patents for (Intel only knows fast, zippo on analog :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: Robert Baer on
miso(a)sushi.com wrote:
>> Robert Baer wrote:
>>> Whoever wrote the data entry program
>>> should be strung up buy the balls for NOT checking
>>> the validity of EVERY parameter entered during entry!
>>> There is absolutely NO excuse!
>> The Rules of Operating System Design
>> #1 Applications must never crash the OS.
>> #2 APPLICATIONS MUST NEVER CRASH THE OS.
>
> It's really hard to arm chair analyze the BSOD. In an industrial
> environment, you have sensors going to i/o boards, noise spikes, etc.
> This can easily be a hardware problem.
>
> I've had usb soundcards lockup linux in the past. Current ALSA seems a
> bit more robust.
Well, concerning noise spikes, i connected a 2.5KV regulator tester
to my PC via an A-D/DIO board and it was a simple matter to filter and
isolate "bazz-fazz" from the tester - so that there would be no problems
with the PC.
Hardware problem? Yess.. Fixable? Yess..
From: Martin Brown on
On 02/08/2010 00:23, JosephKK wrote:

> Found this recently:
>
> ++++++++++
>
> Subject: Tech worker: 'Blue screen of death' on oil rig's computer
>
> Gregg Keizer, *Computerworld*, 26 Jul 2010
>
> A computer that monitored drilling operations on the Deepwater Horizon
> had been freezing with a [BSOD] prior to the explosion that sank the
> oil rig last April, the chief electrician aboard testified Friday at a
> federal hearing.
>
> In his testimony Friday, Michael Williams, the chief electronics
> technician aboard the Transocean-owned Deepwater Horizon, said that
> the rig's safety alarm had been habitually switched to a bypass mode
> to avoid waking up the crew with middle-of-the-night warnings.
>
> Williams said that a computer control system in the drill shack would
> still record high gas levels or a fire, but it would not trigger
> warning sirens, He also said that five weeks before the April 20
> explosion, he had been called to check a computer system that
> monitored and controlled drilling. The machine had been locking up
> for months. You'd have no data coming through." With the computer
> frozen, the driller would not have access to crucial data about what
> was going on in the well.
>
> The April disaster left 11 dead and resulted in the largest oil spill
> in U.S. history.

> What can i say? MS Windows should not be used for safety critical
> systems in any way.

Neither should Transocean. Odd that BP should have to pay for their
mistakes. I guess Transocean is too small to be worth suing.

Regards,
Martin Brown