From: Jim Thompson on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:04:20 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
<zapwireDASHgroups(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>Jim Thompson wrote:
>> And slew-rate controls to keep the EMI in check... what I have the
>> patents for (Intel only knows fast, zippo on analog :-)
>
>Bah. I bet that when the Chinese manufacturers started building their own USB
>driver ICs, they didn't bother with any of that. :-)

The slew rate control is in the standard. But who knows if the
Chinese bother with that? Though I suspect they do... USA-branded
stuff better pass Part 15... or the Dell's of the world would get
their asses kicked.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Spice is like a sports car...
Performance only as good as the person behind the wheel.
From: Joel Koltner on
"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
message news:ukmg56tu1nbjlv9h08u89ub1am7l8gohfb(a)4ax.com...
> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:04:20 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
> <zapwireDASHgroups(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>Jim Thompson wrote:
>>> And slew-rate controls to keep the EMI in check... what I have the
>>> patents for (Intel only knows fast, zippo on analog :-)
>>Bah. I bet that when the Chinese manufacturers started building their own
>>USB
>>driver ICs, they didn't bother with any of that. :-)
> The slew rate control is in the standard. But who knows if the
> Chinese bother with that? Though I suspect they do... USA-branded
> stuff better pass Part 15... or the Dell's of the world would get
> their asses kicked.

Then they probably just copied what was in your patent without bothering to
license it. :-)

Does your approach produce any "charateristic look" on the signal (as viewed
on a scope) that could be easily used to check for patent infringment?

From: Jim Thompson on
On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 11:34:29 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
<zapwireDASHgroups(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Jim Thompson" <To-Email-Use-The-Envelope-Icon(a)On-My-Web-Site.com> wrote in
>message news:ukmg56tu1nbjlv9h08u89ub1am7l8gohfb(a)4ax.com...
>> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010 10:04:20 -0700, "Joel Koltner"
>> <zapwireDASHgroups(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>Bah. I bet that when the Chinese manufacturers started building their own
>>>USB
>>>driver ICs, they didn't bother with any of that. :-)
>> The slew rate control is in the standard. But who knows if the
>> Chinese bother with that? Though I suspect they do... USA-branded
>> stuff better pass Part 15... or the Dell's of the world would get
>> their asses kicked.
>
>Then they probably just copied what was in your patent without bothering to
>license it. :-)
>
>Does your approach produce any "charateristic look" on the signal (as viewed
>on a scope) that could be easily used to check for patent infringment?

Nice Gaussian TR/TF/ But Intel owns the assignment. Working with
Intel I'd guess they freely license such stuff... they love
peripherals :-)

...Jim Thompson

From: Nico Coesel on
"Dave M" <dgminala4444(a)mediacombb.net> wrote:

>Muzaffer Kal wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:52:22 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry
>> <pomerado(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Old news:
>>>
>>> The Yorktown lost control of its propulsion system because its
>>> computers were unable to
>>> divide by the number zero, the memo said. The Yorktown's Standard
>>>
>>> http://gcn.com/articles/1998/07/13/software-glitches-leave-navy-smart-ship-dead-in-the-water.aspx
>>
>> I think the following forum should be of interest to anyone using
>> computers: http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/risks

>Waaayyyy too much reading to do in a reasonable amount of time. If you can
>point to any documentation that would be applicable to the subject of this
>thread, please do so.
>I'm not a Windows proponent, but since it's the OS that runs all of the apps
>that I need and like, it's the one that I use and prefer until something
>much better comes along.
>
>Also, the BSOD can be attributed to Windows malfunction or misconfiguration,
>a hardware failure, or application software failure or misconfiguration. I
>haven't heard whether the actual cause of the BSOD was ever determined.
>Until that can be known, you can't put the blame on the OS. At any rate,
>the brunt of the blame should rest on the computer tech, since, apparently,
>the problem was never resolved.

I agree here. In my experience Windows can run very reliably (uptime
>1 year) if you have proper hardware.

nico(a)nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)
From: AZ Nomad on
On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 22:44:32 GMT, Nico Coesel <nico(a)puntnl.niks> wrote:
>I agree here. In my experience Windows can run very reliably (uptime
>>1 year) if you have proper hardware.

and keep it behind a firewall, and understand that in the default
configuration, the system can be destroyed by the email or web clients
and by actions as simple as inserting an audio CD.