From: Rich the Cynic on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:37:15 -0700, JeffM wrote:
>>JeffM wrote:
>>>APPLICATIONS MUST NEVER CRASH THE OS.
>>>
> miso@ sushi.com wrote:
>>It's really hard to arm chair analyze the BSOD.
>>
> You're not keeping up with the thread.
> ...and the fact that the term even exists and is widely recognized
> is evidence that that platform is the wrong choice.
>
> 1) In 1997, the guided missile frigate USS Yorktown
> was dead in the water for over an hour
> because **an app** tried to divide by zero,

No, because some dozer scriptkiddie neglected to check for an out-of-
bounds condition before sending his brainchild off into lala land.

> 2) In 2010, the Deepwater Horizon was running NT
> (again, shown unsuitable for mission-critical operations) and
> was so unreliable that the operator disabled parts of the system.

Again, human negligence; whoever bought Windoze SW should be prosecuted -
maybe Bill Gates should face murder charges, since it was the failure of
his OS that caused the blast.

Thanks,
Rich

From: Rich Grise on
On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 17:54:50 -0700, miso(a)sushi.com wrote:
> On Aug 2, 5:37�pm, JeffM <jef...(a)email.com> wrote:
>>
>> ...but, when presented with a life-and-death situation,
>> people who go immediately to *Windoze* are clearly clueless.
>
> The term buggy whip exists, but you hardly hear it mentioned these
> days. BSODs used to be common, but with protected memory, they are
> rare.

http://comics.com/pearls_before_swine/2010-08-05/

Cheers!
Rich

From: krw on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 16:22:45 -0700, Rich the Cynic <cynic(a)example.net> wrote:

>> miso@ sushi.com wrote:
>>>It's really hard to arm chair analyze the BSOD.
>>>
>> You're not keeping up with the thread.
>> ...and the fact that the term even exists and is widely recognized
>> is evidence that that platform is the wrong choice.
>>
>> 1) In 1997, the guided missile frigate USS Yorktown
>> was dead in the water for over an hour
>> because **an app** tried to divide by zero,
>
>No, because some dozer scriptkiddie neglected to check for an out-of-
>bounds condition before sending his brainchild off into lala land.

That still should not hang the OS. The app may crash but that's all.

>> 2) In 2010, the Deepwater Horizon was running NT
>> (again, shown unsuitable for mission-critical operations) and
>> was so unreliable that the operator disabled parts of the system.
>
>Again, human negligence; whoever bought Windoze SW should be prosecuted -
>maybe Bill Gates should face murder charges, since it was the failure of
>his OS that caused the blast.

I think your people should get together with BP's people. ;-)
From: JosephKK on
On Sun, 01 Aug 2010 17:27:01 -0700, Muzaffer Kal <kal(a)dspia.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:52:22 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry
><pomerado(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Aug 1, 4:23�pm, "JosephKK"<quiettechb...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Found this recently:
>>>
>>> Subject: Tech worker: 'Blue screen of death' on oil rig's computer
>>>

>>Old news:
>>
>>The Yorktown lost control of its propulsion system because its
>>computers were unable to
>>divide by the number zero, the memo said. The Yorktown�s Standard
>>
>>http://gcn.com/articles/1998/07/13/software-glitches-leave-navy-smart-ship-dead-in-the-water.aspx
>
>I think the following forum should be of interest to anyone using
>computers: http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/risks

Pretty much where i found my item. BTW the forum is moderated, but
that does not mean that an occaisional lapse does not occur.
From: JosephKK on
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 19:47:37 -0500, "Dave M"
<dgminala4444(a)mediacombb.net> wrote:

>Muzaffer Kal wrote:
>> On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 16:52:22 -0700 (PDT), Richard Henry
>> <pomerado(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> Old news:
>>>
>>> The Yorktown lost control of its propulsion system because its
>>> computers were unable to
>>> divide by the number zero, the memo said. The Yorktown's Standard
>>>
>>> http://gcn.com/articles/1998/07/13/software-glitches-leave-navy-smart-ship-dead-in-the-water.aspx
>>
>> I think the following forum should be of interest to anyone using
>> computers: http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/risks

>Waaayyyy too much reading to do in a reasonable amount of time. If you can
>point to any documentation that would be applicable to the subject of this
>thread, please do so.
>I'm not a Windows proponent, but since it's the OS that runs all of the apps
>that I need and like, it's the one that I use and prefer until something
>much better comes along.
>
>Also, the BSOD can be attributed to Windows malfunction or misconfiguration,
>a hardware failure, or application software failure or misconfiguration. I
>haven't heard whether the actual cause of the BSOD was ever determined.
>Until that can be known, you can't put the blame on the OS. At any rate,
>the brunt of the blame should rest on the computer tech, since, apparently,
>the problem was never resolved.

Do you truly use anything that is not replicated in another OS?

>As to the the Yorktown issue, that problem was most likely an application
>software deficiency, not the OS. Any software developer worth 10% of his
>pay will trap and handle bad data entry occurrences, which is what that was.
>If the application software calculates and attempts to use a zero value in a
>calculation it should detect that and handle it so as not to crash either
>the OS or the application.

Just the same, an OS that crashes over that is not worthy of the
appelation OS.