Prev: My Settings
Next: PDF
From: Ray on
When i start my computer up, the fan starts to whirl very loud and after 20
secs the computer shuts down, any ideas ?

From: John McFerren on
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 13:18:35 -0000, Ray wrote:

> When i start my computer up, the fan starts to whirl very loud and after 20
> secs the computer shuts down, any ideas ?

I'm going to need more information to tell for sure, but I do have a few
possibilities. First, you have a faulty power supply. Personally I think
that the power supply is the most overlooked component in the computer
system. Second you could have a fault with your mainboard. Third is a
possible virus on your system. Since you are saying that it shuts off after
20 seconds I am thinking that the system may be trying to boot off the hard
drive. A boot sector virus could in theory at least give the ACPI command
to shut down the system. There are a few others.

Okay, the questions to help you further, additional info is in parenthesis
and brackets when needed:
-Is there any display on the monitor? (To see how far POST makes it and to
see if video chipset is operational.
-Is there anything odd being displayed on the monitor when your system
starts booting from the hard disk (if it reaches that far)?
-Did you add any new hardware or software lately? (Standard Computer
troubleshooting Question)
-Is there a floppy in the floppy drive? (If present)
-Are there any USB storage devices connected? (floppies, flash drives, card
readers with cards inserted [including internal units], hard drives, etc)
-Was their any other unusual happenings? (Standard Electronics
Troubleshooting question, helps with computers as well)
--
John McFerren
AST Computer Servicing Technology
From: Jeff Strickland on

"Ray" <ray285(a)btinternet.com> wrote in message
> When i start my computer up, the fan starts to whirl very loud and after
> 20 secs the computer shuts down, any ideas ?

Bad power supply?

From: Ray on
Hi John,

Hopefully the answers below:

Definately no virus, hard drive has been reformatted.

From: Paul on
Ray wrote:
> When i start my computer up, the fan starts to whirl very loud and after 20
> secs the computer shuts down, any ideas ?

Check to see if the clip that holds the CPU heatsink/fan to the
CPU socket is broken. It could be, that the CPU is not being
cooled, because the heatsink is no longer in contact with the
top of the CPU.

Modern processors have "THERMTRIP", which is overheat protection,
and that signal is tied into the PS_ON# signal on the power
supply. If the CPU thinks it is getting too hot, that hardware
signal shuts off the power, without needing any software to do it.
It is effectively just a thermal diode and hard wired logic.

If you take it apart, you can put some fresh thermal paste on
top of the processor. The thermal paste enhances heat transfer.
A thin layer of paste, displaces air in the gap between the two surfaces.

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/cmq/ins_cmq_singlecore_wcap.pdf

Paul
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2