From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-25 10:15:14 -0700, "Peter" <peternew(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:

> "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

> <la migra stuff snipped>

>> The wineries in this area run from the very big, to small acreage
>> boutique. As for keeping the cost of that bottle below $20, there are
>> some pretty good wines available for $8-$20. There are some really good
>> Californian wines in the $15-$40 range.
>> In the Paso Robles area these are my three favorite wineries.
>> < http://www.justinwine.com/wines.php > Entire cellar is superb!
>> < http://www.peachycanyon.com/ > Great Zinfandel
>> < http://www.changalawinery.com/ > Great Syrah
>
> I have not tried any of those. My personal preference is a Barolo.
> Though for every day, I enjoy Merlot or a Valpolicella Classico. To my
> palette, most domestic red wines seem to lack body. I am less picky
> about whites, so long as they don't have that acidic aftertaste.
> We have an aspiring wine industry here. There was only one local Merlot
> I liked, but the following year the winery was sold to a larger
> production house. The quality just disintegrated. A few years ago the
> winery tours were a pleasant ay of spending an afternoon and trying
> different wines. Now the wineries have turned the tours into a thriving
> business.

You must be picking the wrong California reds.

Do yourself a favor and see if you can find a Paso Robles Syrah. I
suggest the Changala, Eberle, or Justin.

Then for other truly great California reds, if you get the opportunity,
try Justin Isosceles $60+, Justin Cabernet Sauvignon $25-$30.

Paso Zins are also very good. Napa Valley is not the only source for
California wines, and sometimes it is not the best source.

There are also some very good Washington State and Oregon wines, but I
am a biased local, and I believe those I have suggested will stand with
the best of them.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Val Hallah on
On Jul 25, 5:13 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-25 06:30:19 -0700, "Peter" <peter...(a)nospamoptonline.net> said:
>

> > "Savageduck" <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message

> >> No hay problema con los que vengan trabajar. Nuestro problema está con
> >> los hispanoamericanos que no trabajarían bastante en todo menos las
> >> cuadrillas y las drogas. Salen del trabajo para los inmigrantes
> >> ilegales. Igual que el negro y los anglos-americano.
>
> >> Prefiero el mexicano Pisa, o al hermano de la frontera, al La
> >> californiano Eme, bolso de la mierda.
>
> > Puede que no tenga un problema con el legítimo trabajadores, pero la
> > California presentaré no hacen una distinción. Quiero yo sabía lo que
> > la respuesta es. No quiero pagar 20 dólares la libra de uvas que no
> > presiona y fermentados.
>
> All of this from trying to put down L.A., provoked by a geography
> challenged report from an English newspaper.
>
> Anyway, out here in the Paso Robles wine country, the migrant labor
> force is not "illegal". They are contracted, and they are good honest
> workers, as are the majority of migrant contract laborers in the
> Salinas Valley "salad" fields. The true "illegals", "border runners"
> are the ones who end up as undocumented construction day labor,
> restaurant workers, exploited maids, gardeners, etc. and who resort to
> crime from time to time.
>
> As for the unpleasant side of the native Californian Hispanics, we have
> a major gang problem which, for the moment the "working" migrant
> laborers are not a part of. Law enforcement is dealing with violent
> Hispanic gang activity throughout California, which is far worse than
> you might imagine. The Black gangs have nothing on these guys. That
> said the majority of Californian Hispanics are law abiding, hard
> working average US citizens.
> There are some "illegals" who get involved in crime, and are drawn into
> the gangs, but for the most part they are outsiders. We are not immune
> to fallout from the Mexican drug cartels, but that is not the case for
> the majority of those who are working here legally. It is pure
> jingoism/racism to paint with a broad brush.
>
> The wineries in this area run from the very big, to small acreage
> boutique. As for keeping the cost of that bottle below $20, there are
> some pretty good wines available for $8-$20. There are some really good
> Californian wines in the $15-$40 range.
> In the Paso Robles area these are my three favorite wineries.
> <http://www.justinwine.com/wines.php> Entire cellar is superb!
> <http://www.peachycanyon.com/> Great Zinfandel
> <http://www.changalawinery.com/> Great Syrah
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

....thats some expensive wine....
From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-25 13:31:29 -0700, Val Hallah <michaelnewport(a)yahoo.com> said:

> On Jul 25, 5:13�pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>> On 2010-07-25 06:30:19 -0700, "Peter" <peter...(a)nospamoptonline.net> said
> :
<Le Snip>

> The wineries in this area run from the very big, to small acreage
>> boutique. As for keeping the cost of that bottle below $20, there are
>> some pretty good wines available for $8-$20. There are some really good
>> Californian wines in the $15-$40 range.
>> In the Paso Robles area these are my three favorite wineries.
>> <http://www.justinwine.com/wines.php> Entire cellar is superb!
>> <http://www.peachycanyon.com/> Great Zinfandel
>> <http://www.changalawinery.com/> Great Syrah
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Savageduck
>
> ...thats some expensive wine....

I didn't say it was cheap. I said it was good.

I guess that is what you pay if you use contract labor instead of
illegal migrants.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Val Hallah on
On Jul 26, 12:49 am, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com>
wrote:
> On 2010-07-25 13:31:29 -0700, Val Hallah <michaelnewp...(a)yahoo.com> said:
>
> > On Jul 25, 5:13 pm, Savageduck <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
> >> On 2010-07-25 06:30:19 -0700, "Peter" <peter...(a)nospamoptonline.net> said
> > :
>
> <Le Snip>
>
> > The wineries in this area run from the very big, to small acreage
> >> boutique. As for keeping the cost of that bottle below $20, there are
> >> some pretty good wines available for $8-$20. There are some really good
> >> Californian wines in the $15-$40 range.
> >> In the Paso Robles area these are my three favorite wineries.
> >> <http://www.justinwine.com/wines.php> Entire cellar is superb!
> >> <http://www.peachycanyon.com/> Great Zinfandel
> >> <http://www.changalawinery.com/> Great Syrah
>
> >> --
> >> Regards,
>
> >> Savageduck
>
> > ...thats some expensive wine....
>
> I didn't say it was cheap. I said it was good.
>
> I guess that is what you pay if you use contract labor instead of
> illegal migrants.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

wine in Europe is a lot cheaper
From: Ofnuts on
On 26/07/2010 07:48, Val Hallah wrote:

> wine in Europe is a lot cheaper

For some value of "good" I may not agree with. In my own (French) book,
on the average, drinkable starts at 4 euros, good at 8 and very good at
15, so, in dollars, this is about the same.

--
Bertrand
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last