From: Michel Posseth on
Op 7-3-2010 10:14, Cor Ligthert[MVP] schreef:
> Tom,
>
> Is it not "Older" stuff, you write about it if it was from the time that
> going at horse back was a common way of traveling
>
> :-)
>
> Cor
>
> "Tom Shelton" <tom_shelton(a)comcastXXXXXXX.net> wrote in message
>> On 2010-03-05, Mr. X. <nospam(a)nospam_please.com> wrote:
>>> There is : user-control (add new item -> common items -> user control),
>>> and also : WPF (add new item -> common items -> user control (WPF) )
>>>
>>> What are the differences between user control and user control (WPF) ?
>>>
>>> Thanks :)
>>>

>> Very big differences :) WPF or Window Presentation Foundation is the new
>> presentation framework for .NET. It is based on DirectX and offers
>> lots of
>> features like resolution independence, rich media support, skining, and
>> styling. But, probably the biggest feature is the ability to separate
>> presentation from logic.
>>
>> Windows forms, well that's the old stuff. But, to help you it would be
>> good
>> to know which your using. But, since your asking about what wpf is -
>> well,
>> I'll assume you want to know about windows forms :)
>>
>> So, what specifically was the question again?
>>
>> --
>> Tom Shelton

WPF is nice if you are a inhouse developer and you know all your target
PC`s meet the requirments .

At this moment i do not yet take it as a serious alternative for classic
winforms . it is nice play stuff but not mature enough IMHO

JMO

Michel

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-03-07, Cor Ligthert[MVP] <Notmyfirstname(a)planet.nl> wrote:
> Tom,
>
> Is it not "Older" stuff, you write about it if it was from the time that
> going at horse back was a common way of traveling
>
>:-)
>
> Cor

1) Windows forms is not being developed further
2) They are completely different technologies
3) WPF is new, Win forms old. Not sure what you are objecting to?

I was simply trying to establish which technologie the op was using.

--
Tom Shelton
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Tom

> 1) Windows forms is not being developed further
Only true for the controls, some classes will I hope be redesigned, but at
the moment you need still by instance the OpenFileDialog, which is in the
form namespace, in WPF, (if it is a replacement for a form application an
according to your own message we are talking about that in my idea)

> 2) They are completely different technologies
That is from the point of view too this technology, for me it is quit the
same as I use it in Visual Studio 2010 (also in Silverlight now)..

> 3) WPF is new, Win forms old. Not sure what you are objecting to?
Yea, but does that conclusion mean that you should be replaced direct by new
born babies too?

What I want to say is, it is preferable for a new solution to go for WPF,
but when you first look in the toolbox (also 3rd party) of both, than you
have at the moment at least something that can make that you use it first
for a smaller project than direct for a huge one.

:-)

Cor

From: Tom Shelton on
On 2010-03-08, Cor Ligthert[MVP] <Notmyfirstname(a)planet.nl> wrote:
> Tom
>
>> 1) Windows forms is not being developed further
> Only true for the controls, some classes will I hope be redesigned, but at

Windows forms is in maintenance mode. They are not developing it further.
Basically, bug fixes only.

> the moment you need still by instance the OpenFileDialog, which is in the
> form namespace, in WPF, (if it is a replacement for a form application an
> according to your own message we are talking about that in my idea)

I'm not sure what you mean by this? The OpenFileDilaog is a system component.
In either case WPF or Winforms it is calling the native windows api. They are
simply using different wrappers.

>> 2) They are completely different technologies
> That is from the point of view too this technology, for me it is quit the
> same as I use it in Visual Studio 2010 (also in Silverlight now)..

I have no idea what you are saying? Winforms and WPF are completly different.
VS2010 or not.

>> 3) WPF is new, Win forms old. Not sure what you are objecting to?
> Yea, but does that conclusion mean that you should be replaced direct by new
> born babies too?

I don't know what your are getting at. I was trying to establish if the OP is
using winforms or wpf. He asked a question about the differences. I gave
them.

--
Tom Shelton