From: Bill Hobba on

"kolt" <sabbath450(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Around the proton and the electron is a force.

There is a field - not a force.

>Can we not suppose that
> there is an outward and an inward curvature to account for the positive
> and negative electric forces?

Curvature of what?

>However, the opposing curvatures within
> the atom would cancel each other out resulting in a net curvature of
> zero. Such a view totally disregards the roll the electric forces may
> have in the force of gravity since positive plus an equal amount of
> negative is zero.

There is no role - electricial forces a described by a 4 vector - gravity by
a 4x4 tensor (1)

>What I mean is that I think Positive plus negative
> might equal gravity.

It can't because of (1).

Bill

From: Tom Roberts on
Ken S. Tucker wrote:
> Tom, your post has serious issues. Please see Dover's "...Relativity" pg 156 , Eq,(66)
> aka AE's GR1916

Not really. It's just that your understanding of Einstein's paper seems
to have "serious issues".

Here's a test of your understanding of that paper: Today
we commonly write the Einstein Field Equation (using
component notation and units comparable to Einstein's):
G^uv = 8 pi G T^uv
The name "Einstein Field Equation" comes from the fact
that Einstein first derived and presented it in this paper
-- in which equation of the paper is it presented?

If you cannot answer this question, you don't understand
that paper. Or almost certainly, GR itself.

> Please see Dover's "...Relativity" pg 156 , Eq,(66)
> aka AE's GR1916 Eq.(66) and see how the
> energy density is defined entirely by the EM
> field tensor, where the "energy density"
> determines the curvature and so on to the metrics.

Actually, his eq. 66 only applies to the EM field -- there can be other
contributions to the energy-momentum tensor; it's just that in this
section he is discussing only the contribution due to the EM field.

> That in my mind, compells a metric related to
> the EM field tensor

Yes, of course -- that's what the Einstein Field Equation does. But of
course the metric is related to other contributions to the
energy-momentum tensor as well, not just the EM field contribution.

> and permits the assumption
> that "mass" itself is appropriately defined to have
> an electromagnetic origin,

Not true. Mass can be intrinsic, and in the context of Einstein's paper,
and in today's general context of GR, that is non-electrodynamic. In
particular, _neutral_ objects can have nonzero mass, as we observe every
day (e.g. this rock, your body, etc.).

> eliminating the
> necessity of adding an ambiguous generic quantity
> "m" by hand into the metric.

But one _never_ does that. The Einstein field equation relates the
metric tensor to the energy-momentum tensor. For the case of point
masses the "generic quantity m" appears "by hand" in the energy-momentum
tensor, not the metric.

Tom Roberts tjroberts(a)lucent.com
From: Ken S. Tucker on

Tom Roberts wrote:
> Ken S. Tucker wrote:
> > Tom, your post has serious issues. Please see Dover's "...Relativity" pg 156 , Eq,(66)
> > aka AE's GR1916
>
> Not really. It's just that your understanding of Einstein's paper seems
> to have "serious issues".

You can take the phrase "serious issues" in the positive
tone I alleged or the negative tone you cast on my fully
referenced post.

> Here's a test of your understanding of that paper: Today
> we commonly write the Einstein Field Equation (using
> component notation and units comparable to Einstein's):
> G^uv = 8 pi G T^uv
> The name "Einstein Field Equation" comes from the fact
> that Einstein first derived and presented it in this paper
> -- in which equation of the paper is it presented?

Shall we add pedantry...

> If you cannot answer this question, you don't understand
> that paper. Or almost certainly, GR itself.

LOL, Tom, you're a piece of work...

> > Please see Dover's "...Relativity" pg 156 , Eq,(66)
> > aka AE's GR1916 Eq.(66) and see how the
> > energy density is defined entirely by the EM
> > field tensor, where the "energy density"
> > determines the curvature and so on to the metrics.
>
> Actually, his eq. 66 only applies to the EM field -- there can be other
> contributions to the energy-momentum tensor;

Define one by scientific results apart from EM.

> > That in my mind, compells a metric related to
> > the EM field tensor
>
> Yes, of course -- that's what the Einstein Field Equation does. But of
> course the metric is related to other contributions to the
> energy-momentum tensor as well, not just the EM field contribution.

Apart from the generic "m" what is your definition.

> > and permits the assumption
> > that "mass" itself is appropriately defined to have
> > an electromagnetic origin,

> Not true. Mass can be intrinsic,

Ok, define intrinsic.

> and in the context of Einstein's paper,
> and in today's general context of GR, that is non-electrodynamic.

Agreed

>In
> particular, _neutral_ objects can have nonzero mass, as we observe every
> day (e.g. this rock, your body, etc.).

True, but a neutral "H" atom is composed of electrical
charges.

> > eliminating the
> > necessity of adding an ambiguous generic quantity
> > "m" by hand into the metric.
>
> But one _never_ does that. The Einstein field equation relates the
> metric tensor to the energy-momentum tensor. For the case of point
> masses the "generic quantity m" appears "by hand" in the energy-momentum
> tensor, not the metric.

Careful, where GR is concerned we're talking about
"generic density" T_uv. If you mean the 4 vector p^u,
that is a controversial bridge, since p^u can occupy
a finite volume, so how do you apply a metric defined
at a point to a vector p^u that requires a finite volume.
I happen to agree but you're on thin ice, that's where
HUP meets GR.

> Tom Roberts tjroberts(a)lucent.com

Regards
Ken S. Tucker

From: George Hammond on

"Tom Roberts" <tjroberts(a)lucent.com> wrote in message

> Ken S. Tucker wrote:
>> Tom, your post has serious issues. Please see Dover's "...Relativity" pg
>> 156 , Eq,(66)
>> aka AE's GR1916
>
> [Roberts]
> Not really. It's just that your understanding of Einstein's paper seems to
> have "serious issues".
>
> Here's a test of your understanding of that paper: Today
> we commonly write the Einstein Field Equation (using
> component notation and units comparable to Einstein's):
> G^uv = 8 pi G T^uv
> The name "Einstein Field Equation" comes from the fact
> that Einstein first derived and presented it in this paper
> -- in which equation of the paper is it presented?
>
> If you cannot answer this question, you don't understand
> that paper. Or almost certainly, GR itself.

[Hammond]
I notice Tucker never gave a direct answer to your
question Tom,... but I will. I say the answer to your
(Tom Roberts') specific question (above) is:

"Equation 53, page 149"
of Einstein's famous 1916 paper
(ibid: Dover's "...Relativity")
... and the reason why, is
because G_uv (the Einstein
tensor reduces to R_uv
(the Ricci tensor) for
sqrt(-g) =1 which is
the case in eqn 53.....hence
eqn 53 is actually the first
appearance of "Einstein's EFE"
in his famous 1916 paper!

>> [Tucker]
>> Please see Dover's "...Relativity" pg 156 , Eq,(66)
>> aka AE's GR1916 Eq.(66) and see how the
>> energy density is defined entirely by the EM
>> field tensor, where the "energy density"
>> determines the curvature and so on to the metrics.
>
> [Roberts]
> Actually, his eq. 66 only applies to the EM field -- there can be other
> contributions to the energy-momentum tensor; it's just that in this
> section he is discussing only the contribution due to the EM field.

[Hammond]
Correct, Tom.

>> [Tucker]
>> That in my mind, compells a metric related to
>> the EM field tensor
>
> [Roberts]
> Yes, of course -- that's what the Einstein Field Equation does. But of
> course the metric is related to other contributions to the energy-momentum
> tensor as well, not just the EM field contribution.

[Hammond]
Yes, of course.... the principle contribution to the
source term in the EFE is not the EM part at all....
in fact it is the "rest mass" energy of the mass
distribution density, rho, as any one knows. Fact is,
the "rest mass energy" is generally the largest
component in the source term.... dwarfing the
EM component as a general rule!

>> [Tucker]
>> and permits the assumption
>> that "mass" itself is appropriately defined to have
>> an electromagnetic origin,

[Hammond]
Na, na, na.... you're way out in left field Tucker.

> [Roberts]
> Not true. Mass can be intrinsic, and in the context of Einstein's paper,
> and in today's general context of GR, that is non-electrodynamic. In
> particular, _neutral_ objects can have nonzero mass, as we observe every
> day (e.g. this rock, your body, etc.).

[Hammond]
Correct.

>> eliminating the
>> necessity of adding an ambiguous generic quantity
>> "m" by hand into the metric.
>
> But one _never_ does that. The Einstein field equation relates the metric
> tensor to the energy-momentum tensor. For the case of point masses the
> "generic quantity m" appears "by hand" in the energy-momentum tensor, not
> the metric.

[Hammond]
Correct, ..... of course.

> Tom Roberts tjroberts(a)lucent.com
SCIENTIFIC PROOF OF GOD WEBSITE
http://geocities.com/scientific_proof_of_god
mirror site:
http://proof-of-god.freewebsitehosting.com

From: Tom Roberts on
George Hammond wrote:
> "Tom Roberts" <tjroberts(a)lucent.com> wrote in message
>> Here's a test of your understanding of that paper: Today
>> we commonly write the Einstein Field Equation (using
>> component notation and units comparable to Einstein's):
>> G^uv = 8 pi G T^uv
>> The name "Einstein Field Equation" comes from the fact
>> that Einstein first derived and presented it in this paper
>> -- in which equation of the paper is it presented?
>>
>> If you cannot answer this question, you don't understand
>> that paper. Or almost certainly, GR itself.
>>
> [Hammond]
> I notice Tucker never gave a direct answer to your
> question Tom,... but I will. I say the answer to your
> (Tom Roberts') specific question (above) is:
> "Equation 53, page 149"
> of Einstein's famous 1916 paper
> (ibid: Dover's "...Relativity")

Yes.

> ... and the reason why, is
> because G_uv (the Einstein
> tensor reduces to R_uv
> (the Ricci tensor) for
> sqrt(-g) =1 which is
> the case in eqn 53.....

No. There is no situation in which G_uv "reduces" to R_uv -- G_uv is
defined:
G_uv = R_uv - 0.5 g_uv R
and your claim would imply either g_uv=0 or R=0, neither of which makes
any sense at all (R=0 applies in certain manifolds with unphysical
symmetries, but not in general).

In fact, Einstein's Eq. 53 uses the alternate form of the Einstein field
equation:
R_uv = 8 pi G (T_uv - 0.5 g_uv T)

Exercise for the reader: show the relationship between the
LHS of Einstein's eq. 53 and R_uv.

> hence
> eqn 53 is actually the first
> appearance of "Einstein's EFE"