From: Tom Roberts on
GSS wrote:
> Let us agree to use only that spherical polar coordinate system which
> has been adopted in the Schw. solution for the static spherically
> symmetric gravitation problem. Kindly point out the *irrelevancies* of
> this coordinate system which hinder the identification of 2-d surfaces
> in the Schw space the curvature of which is induced by the components
> of the curvature tensor.

Consider the case M=0, in which the Riemann curvature tensor of the
manifold is identically zero. The surfaces r=constant have nonzero
Gaussian curvature.

Tom Roberts tjroberts(a)lucent.com
From: GSS on

Tom Roberts wrote:
> GSS wrote:
> > Let us agree to use only that spherical polar coordinate system which
> > has been adopted in the Schw. solution for the static spherically
> > symmetric gravitation problem. Kindly point out the *irrelevancies* of
> > this coordinate system which hinder the identification of 2-d surfaces
> > in the Schw space the curvature of which is induced by the components
> > of the curvature tensor.
>
> Consider the case M=0, in which the Riemann curvature tensor of the
> manifold is identically zero. The surfaces r=constant have nonzero
> Gaussian curvature.

How do you still consider the notion of *curvature of space* to be
really valid?

The term *curvature* basically applies to the bending of curves and 2-d
surfaces. It is the forced extension of this term used to describe the
new notion of *curvature of space* in GR. Inherently the new notion
applies to the deformation of space induced by the change in metric
(for M>0). Effectively we have been discussing whether this notion of
*curvature of space* does adequately describe the induced deformation
of space or not. The discussions so far only show that it does not
appear to be feasible to properly describe the induced deformation of
space through the notion of *curvature of space* .
Hence it is not wrong to say that this new notion of *curvature of
space* has been the most misleading notion of GR.

I hope you will agree.

GSS

From: GSS on

JanPB wrote:
> [...]
> > > to Gaussian curvatures of something that's actually in there.
> >
> > Let us agree to use only that spherical polar coordinate system which
> > has been adopted in the Schw. solution for the static spherically
> > symmetric gravitation problem. Kindly point out the *irrelevancies* of
> > this coordinate system which hinder the identification of 2-d surfaces
> > in the Schw space the curvature of which is induced by the components
> > of the curvature tensor. I hope you can mentally visualize the surfaces
> > under discussion. If so the same can then be simulated on computer if
> > required.
>
> The difference between R_1212 and R_1313 is one example of
> coordinate-induced irrelevancy. The situation is spherically symmetric
> so any coordinate-independent quantification of something actually
> *there* should give the same result both in the (d/dr, d/dtheta) and
> (d/dr, d/dphi) directions.
>
> Another example of a coordinate phenomenon is that the length of
> d/dtheta is not equal to the length of d/dphi (r and r sin(theta),
> resp.) - yet by symmetry there is no difference between these two
> directions.
>
> > > Either way, you get:
> >
> > > S_12 = -M/r^3
> > > S_13 = -M/r^3
> > > S_23 = 2M/r^3
> > >
> > > The first two are curvatures of what looks like regular 2D planes
> > > through the origin (minus the origin). Because of the odd metric they
> > > are not really flat.
> >
> > Do you mean the planes passing through the polar axis theta=0?
>
> Any "plane" through the origin. The S_12 and S_13 at any given point
> (r0, theta0, phi0) refer to Gaussian curvatures at that point of the
> planes spanned by (d/dr, d/dtheta) and (d/dr, d/dphi), resp.
>
> > > The third one is the curvature of the surface made
> > > (at a fixed point) of geodesics starting (from that point) in
> > > directions which are linear combinations of d/dtheta and d/dphi (at
> > > that point). Because of the symmetry, it is sufficient to calculate
> > > just one of such geodesics and then make the surface of revolution out
> > > of it (spinning it around the radius).
> >
> > Kindly confirm that you can visualize this surface and can it be
> > simulated on computer?
>
> You have to solve some differential equations to get the exact
> geodesics but you can imagine at every point (r0, theta0, phi0) a
> snippet of surface of positive curvature tangent to the (d/dtheta,
> d/dphi)-plane at that point and curving toward the origin. The exact
> equation of the geodesic is quite messy and even when you reduce the
> order from 2 to 1 by using the constants of the motion, the resulting
> equations are still nasty.
> > Can you visualize how the shape of this surface will change when we
> > vary the value of M in the curvature components from zero to M1 say?
>
> Well, it'll be uncurling and approaching the plane spanned by
> (d/dtheta, d/dphi) as the surface moves away from the origin.

Assuming that after solving some differential equations, you are in a
position to visualize the surface of some finite curvature passing
through a particular point (r0, theta0, phi0). Now if you repeat this
process at all neighborhood points (r1, theta1, phi1) etc. then don't
you think that the curved 2-d surfaces passing through such points will
appear to be intersecting or crossing one another?

GSS

From: JanPB on
GSS wrote:
> JanPB wrote:
> > GSS wrote:
> > > JanPB wrote:
> >
> > You have to solve some differential equations to get the exact
> > geodesics but you can imagine at every point (r0, theta0, phi0) a
> > snippet of surface of positive curvature tangent to the (d/dtheta,
> > d/dphi)-plane at that point and curving toward the origin. The exact
> > equation of the geodesic is quite messy and even when you reduce the
> > order from 2 to 1 by using the constants of the motion, the resulting
> > equations are still nasty.
> > > Can you visualize how the shape of this surface will change when we
> > > vary the value of M in the curvature components from zero to M1 say?
> >
> > Well, it'll be uncurling and approaching the plane spanned by
> > (d/dtheta, d/dphi) as the surface moves away from the origin.
>
> Assuming that after solving some differential equations, you are in a
> position to visualize the surface of some finite curvature passing
> through a particular point (r0, theta0, phi0). Now if you repeat this
> process at all neighborhood points (r1, theta1, phi1) etc. then don't
> you think that the curved 2-d surfaces passing through such points will
> appear to be intersecting or crossing one another?

Yes, in this case they will. BTW, these surfaces are to be thought of
as "surface snippets" - potentially very small surfaces passing through
each point. Their exact size is unimportant from the point of view of
curvatures (since curvature of a surface at a point is determined by
any open neughbourhood in the surface around the point). The size is
determined by geodesics emanating from the point and "weaving" the
surface: as soon as any two geodesics intersect again, you cannot
continue the surface past that point. (This is where the exponential
map ceases to be 1-1.)

--
Jan Bielawski

From: Tom Roberts on
GSS wrote:
> Tom Roberts wrote:
>>Consider the case M=0, in which the Riemann curvature tensor of the
>>manifold is identically zero. The surfaces r=constant have nonzero
>>Gaussian curvature.
>
> How do you still consider the notion of *curvature of space* to be
> really valid?

Because geometrically it _is_ valid. That is, there are indeed
geometrical manifolds with nonzero curvature. <shrug>

And you never responded to how a 2-d surface in a flat 4-d spacetime can
have nonzero curvature, and why that shows that the curvature of such
2-d surfaces is useless in "describing" the geometry of the 4-d manifold....

> The term *curvature* basically applies to the bending of curves and 2-d
> surfaces.

Not in differential geometry or GR. The term "curvature" was borrowed by
analogy with 2-d surfaces, and has come to mean the Riemann curvature
tensor. That is, a manifold of _any_ dimension with nonzero Riemann
tensor is said to be curved. <shrug>

Ironically, no 1-d manifold (a curve) has nonzero Riemann curvature
tensor. For 2-d surfaces, Riemann curvature is directly related to
Gaussian curvature.

> It is the forced extension of this term used to describe the
> new notion of *curvature of space* in GR.

It may be new to you, but it most definately was not new in GR. Riemann,
Ricci, Levi-Civita, Christoffel, et al investigated this in the 1800s.
Einstein used _existing_ mathematics in his development of GR. <shrug>

And it's the curvature of spaceTIME that is important in GR.

> Inherently the new notion
> applies to the deformation of space induced by the change in metric
> (for M>0).

I repeat: there is no "change" in the metric. These are
_different_manifolds_. The Schw. manifold with M=0 is both geometrically
and topologically different from those with M>0. <shrug>

You keep trying to discuss "change of a manifold" in ways that simply do
not make sense. Analogy: how would one "change" the Euclidean plane E^2
to "become" the surface of a sphere S^2? -- the question
_does_not_make_sense_, and illustrates a very basic lack of
understanding of geometry. <shrug>

> Effectively we have been discussing whether this notion of
> *curvature of space* does adequately describe the induced deformation
> of space or not.

That is inadequate in GR. One must discuss the curvature of spaceTIME.
Indeed, for many situations the curvature of space is negligible (e.g.
for objects falling or orbiting near earth).

> The discussions so far only show that it does not
> appear to be feasible to properly describe the induced deformation of
> space through the notion of *curvature of space* .

I have no idea what you are trying to say. The Einstein field equation
plus the usual notions of differential geometry do indeed adequately
describe the geometry of GR. <shrug>

> Hence it is not wrong to say that this new notion of *curvature of
> space* has been the most misleading notion of GR.

Only for your personal MISconceptions about GR, about geometry, and....

Tom Roberts tjroberts(a)lucent.com
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: The Constant Speed of Light.