From: Nico Kadel-Garcia on
On Feb 21, 2:04 pm, balou <i...(a)balou.com> wrote:

> Well multiseatcomputer is one computer with 3 multiple videocards , 6
> usb keyboards an 6 usb mice. You can work with al the seats like normal
> computers.
>
> It's not thin clients but normally when a program is compatible when
> thin clients it also works with multiseatcomputers.

Interesting: do you have a pointer to the necessary tools for this
setup? I admit it seems a real trap back to the 1980's, with multiple
serial ports and greenscreen text terminals. (I used to do a lot of my
work that way.)

From: Michael Black on
On Sat, 20 Feb 2010, balou wrote:

> Nico Kadel-Garcia schreef:
>> Google is your friend: http://www.cyber-cafe-software.com/eng/Linux/
>>
>> If possible, I'd recommend not having a disk at all. Use a live CD or
>> DVD, and be prepared to update them every few months to get the latest
>> up-to-date Flash and MP3 players, and reboot the machines after every
>> user logs out. I assume you've also thought about physical security,
>> to lock the BIOS and keep people from plugging in flash drives and
>> booting from that.
>

> I also use a multiseatcomputer (one computer with 6 users : 6 screens, 6
> keyboards and mices). These cybercafesoftware don't works with
> multiseatcomputers. Did you know some program thats compatible with ?

Usually ISP or BBS software might help.

There was a time when you got a chunk of time each month at your ISP,
rather than unlimited time. So there must be software to keep track of
your time. Each customer gets an account, and then the software keeps
track of the time they've used, and kicks them off when it runs out.

Likewise, some ISPs (and BBSs) would limit how long you could stay on
for each call, especially in the evening hours when demand was high.
So they'd kick you off after an hour. Again, the software must be out
there.

Michael

From: John Hasler on
Michael Black writes:
> There was a time when you got a chunk of time each month at your ISP,
> rather than unlimited time. So there must be software to keep track
> of your time. Each customer gets an account, and then the software
> keeps track of the time they've used, and kicks them off when it runs
> out.

They used Radius <http://www.freeradius.org/>. (There are Debian Radius
packages, of course.) You might be able to adapt one of the
implementations to your needs. Regular Unix process accounting might
also be of some help (man 5 acct). I don't think you'll find anything
you can just install and run, though.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Terryc on
balou wrote:

>> No, I'm afraid it's not something I've dug into. How does this
>> "multiseat computer" work? Multiple video cards and keyboards, or are
>> the other workstations "thin clients" of some sort?
>
> Well multiseatcomputer is one computer with 3 multiple videocards , 6
> usb keyboards an 6 usb mice. You can work with al the seats like normal
> computers.

Modern URL?. AFAIR, the only onlne HOWTO references all commented about
unreliability. OTOH, these things are usually just cobble togethers with
various hardware.