From: 1catlover on
I'm a Captivate user, but am trying to help one of my colleagues with this
Director question. Can a file created in Director (not sure of the version)
with a .dcr be made into a .swf? He's trying to use the "Shockwave ActiveX
Control-10" in a C++ application to play a .dcr file, and it's not working
properly. The "Shockwave Flash Object Active X Contol" plays fine. Thanks for
your help.

From: JB on
Only director can play flash files ( with the facilities of a macromedia
provided Xtra code extension )

One would hve to export a director animation as a simple linear sequence
of frames, playing this as a series of stills or video inside of flash.
From: Charles Parcell on
The simple answer is no. You can not convert a .dcr into a .swf. Director and
Flash are two very very different beasts.

I am willing to bet that his main problem is the fact that his Shockwave file
(.dcr) uses some Xtras beyond the basics. I have no experience plugging
Director movies into other applications so I can't be of more help.

I will say this though... Flash is not extendable in any form. Meaning that
once you "compile" a Flash .swf it is completely self contained. All you need
is the player to view it. Director on the other hand is a bit different. You
can compile a Director movie into a .dcr but it not completely self contained.
You as the developer might have utilized some aspect which requires additional
libraries (aka Xtras). For example if you have any text in your project, your
end users player must have the Text Asset Xtra. While this is a standard Xtra
of the Standard Shockwave install other Xtras such as 3D or Font are not. All
Macromedia Xtras are usually installed "silently" in the background without the
end user knowing that they needed it. But thrid party Xtras are not.

I think that is enough rambling on that. :)

From: 1catlover on
Thank you so much. I've passed your information onto my colleague.
From: Mike M. on
Thanks Charles. I am the "co-worker" who is trying to use the Shockwave
player in an application. I found a problem between PowerPoint and the
Shockwave ActiveX control where PowerPoint crashes and wants to send an
error report when I tell it to close a running presentation that contains
this control. We were hoping to be able to convert the content to avoid the
issue. I have no way of determining if the problem is with PowerPoint or
the control. I posted a bug report to Macromedia but I M.S. wants to charge
me to report bugs so I won't go there.

"Charles Parcell" <webforumsuser(a)macromedia.com> wrote in message
> The simple answer is no. You can not convert a .dcr into a .swf. Director
and
> Flash are two very very different beasts.
>
> I am willing to bet that his main problem is the fact that his Shockwave
file
> (.dcr) uses some Xtras beyond the basics. I have no experience plugging
> Director movies into other applications so I can't be of more help.
>
> I will say this though... Flash is not extendable in any form. Meaning
that
> once you "compile" a Flash .swf it is completely self contained. All you
need
> is the player to view it. Director on the other hand is a bit different.
You
> can compile a Director movie into a .dcr but it not completely self
contained.
> You as the developer might have utilized some aspect which requires
additional
> libraries (aka Xtras). For example if you have any text in your project,
your
> end users player must have the Text Asset Xtra. While this is a standard
Xtra
> of the Standard Shockwave install other Xtras such as 3D or Font are not.
All
> Macromedia Xtras are usually installed "silently" in the background
without the
> end user knowing that they needed it. But thrid party Xtras are not.
>
> I think that is enough rambling on that. :)
>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Next: DCR Decompiler