From: Bob Eager on
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:52:53 -0700, info wrote:

> On Mar 25, 6:11 pm, Bob Eager <rd...(a)spamcop.net> wrote:
>> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 23:04:42 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
>> > The user who is doing the mounting must _own_ the mount point. That
>> > is the only way it is going to work.
>
> Right, the non-root user does 'mkdir mnt' in his home directory so it is
> owned by user:user mode 755. Then the user does 'mount /dev/ da0s1a
> mnt' after which mnt is owned by root:wheel with mode 755. The user can
> cd to the external volume and read what is there, but not write to it.
> Unmounting the external volume returns mnt to user:user mode 755.

Not quite sure why you left my name in there when you removed everything
I wrote. Anyway...

So, non-root user creates a local mount directory, owned by
user:usersgroup (not necessarily 'user'). They can mount it, so the
vfs.usermount=1 is working. Yes, at that point the mount point becomes
owned by root:wheel. This is presumably the owner of the mounted
filesystem.

So the problem is the ownership and mode of the root directory (and
below) on the mounted filsystem.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: info on
On Mar 25, 7:11 pm, Bob Eager <rd...(a)spamcop.net> wrote:

> Not quite sure why you left my name in there when you removed everything
> I wrote. Anyway...

sorry, sloppy snipping

> So the problem is the ownership and mode of the root directory (and
> below) on the mounted filsystem.

It is true that root did fdisk, bsdlabel and newfs on the external
disk. Then I thought that the ownership and mode of the root
directory on the mounted filesystem would be set with devfs.conf and
devfs.rules, no?
From: Bob Eager on
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:27:25 -0700, info wrote:

> On Mar 25, 7:11 pm, Bob Eager <rd...(a)spamcop.net> wrote:
>>
>> Not quite sure why you left my name in there when you removed
>> everything I wrote. Anyway...
>
> sorry, sloppy snipping

OK!

>> So the problem is the ownership and mode of the root directory (and
>> below) on the mounted filsystem.
>
> It is true that root did fdisk, bsdlabel and newfs on the external disk.
> Then I thought that the ownership and mode of the root directory on the
> mounted filesystem would be set with devfs.conf and devfs.rules, no?

No, they just set the ownership of the *device*. And that's what I'd
expect. I don't see why ownership of the file system should be affected
by who owns the physical device.

From: bas on
On Mar 25, 7:30 pm, Bob Eager <rd...(a)spamcop.net> wrote:

> No, they just set the ownership of the *device*. And that's what I'd
> expect. I don't see why ownership of the file system should be affected
> by who owns the physical device.

Ah, I see. Thank you.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2