From: bas on
Can't write to usb devices as a non-root user on 7.2-stable. Have

in /etc/devfs.conf:
perm da* 0660
own da* root:operator

in /etc/devfs.rules:
[local=20]
add path 'da*' mode 0660 group operator

in /etc/rc.conf:
devfs_system_ruleset="local"

in /etc/sysctl.conf
vfs.usermount=1

A user in group operator can mount usb devices, but cannot write to
them. The mount point, e.g. /home/someuser/mnt is always set to mode
744 and user root:wheel. What did I miss?
From: bas on
On Mar 25, 4:29 pm, bas <babak.ashr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> The mount point, e.g. /home/someuser/mnt is always set to mode
> 744 and user root:wheel.  What did I miss?

I meant 755
From: Torfinn Ingolfsen on
On 03/25/2010 21:29, bas wrote:
> A user in group operator can mount usb devices, but cannot write to
> them. The mount point, e.g. /home/someuser/mnt is always set to mode
> 744 and user root:wheel. What did I miss?

The user who is doing the mounting must _own_ the mount point.
That is the only way it is going to work.

--
Torfinn Ingolfsen,
Norway
From: Bob Eager on
On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 23:04:42 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

> On 03/25/2010 21:29, bas wrote:
>> A user in group operator can mount usb devices, but cannot write to
>> them. The mount point, e.g. /home/someuser/mnt is always set to mode
>> 744 and user root:wheel. What did I miss?
>
> The user who is doing the mounting must _own_ the mount point. That is
> the only way it is going to work.

I was going to say that. But he says the user can mount it! I wonder if
he's got that part right...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: info on
On Mar 25, 6:11 pm, Bob Eager <rd...(a)spamcop.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 23:04:42 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> > The user who is doing the mounting must _own_ the mount point. That is
> > the only way it is going to work.

Right, the non-root user does 'mkdir mnt' in his home directory so it
is owned by user:user mode 755. Then the user does 'mount /dev/
da0s1a mnt' after which mnt is owned by root:wheel with mode 755. The
user can cd to the external volume and read what is there, but not
write to it. Unmounting the external volume returns mnt to user:user
mode 755.
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: How to write a usb device driver?