From: eddy long on
Hi all,
I'm trying to enable Virtual Memory on a Dell computer using Win98. 128ram;
PII
@500mhz. About five years old.

When opening more than four .jpg files I get an shortage of memory box on my
screen. That never used to happen until two days ago.

I dumped most of my temp files from the past week to create space thinking
that might be the problem.

Also, there is no spyware on this computer - it has never been networked.

For some reason, it says on the Perfomance Status:

File System - 32 Bit
Virtual Memory - Disabled

I have gone through the following steps:

Start
Settings
CP
d/c System icon
Click Performance Tab
Click Virtual Memory
[Radio Button] Click "Let Windows manage..."
Click OK
Click Yes
Restart

However, when the computer boots up and I check the Performance Status, it
still says that the Virtual Memory is diabled.

On my other computer - five year old Gateway running Win98 on a PII @ 350mhz

I run through the same steps and the Performance Status says:
File System - 32 Bit
Virtual Memory - 32 Bit

Any suggestions on how I can enable Virtual Memory would be greatly
appreaciated.
Thank you.

Eddy

From: Maureen on
eddy long wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to enable Virtual Memory on a Dell computer using Win98. 128ram;
> PII
> @500mhz. About five years old.
>
> When opening more than four .jpg files I get an shortage of memory box on my
> screen. That never used to happen until two days ago.
>
> I dumped most of my temp files from the past week to create space thinking
> that might be the problem.
>
> Also, there is no spyware on this computer - it has never been networked.
>
> For some reason, it says on the Perfomance Status:
>
> File System - 32 Bit
> Virtual Memory - Disabled
>
> I have gone through the following steps:
>
> Start
> Settings
> CP
> d/c System icon
> Click Performance Tab
> Click Virtual Memory
> [Radio Button] Click "Let Windows manage..."
> Click OK
> Click Yes
> Restart
>
> However, when the computer boots up and I check the Performance Status, it
> still says that the Virtual Memory is diabled.
>
> On my other computer - five year old Gateway running Win98 on a PII @ 350mhz
>
> I run through the same steps and the Performance Status says:
> File System - 32 Bit
> Virtual Memory - 32 Bit
>
> Any suggestions on how I can enable Virtual Memory would be greatly
> appreaciated.
> Thank you.
>
> Eddy

This is an old system and you may have to consider upgrading.
There's more problems going on here than meets the eye.

I still think a new PC is in order but if you want to
see if a utility called 'cacheman' will make any difference
you can download it here: http://www.outertech.com/

Cacheman XP is listed first.. scroll down till you see "Cacheman"
which is the one you want for win 9x

--

Maureen Aquino
C-Tech Volunteer
From: gwen on

"eddy long" <eddylong(a)boloney!_NOSPAM_.net> wrote in message news:42595bdf$1(a)news.greennet.net...
> Hi all,
> I'm trying to enable Virtual Memory on a Dell computer using Win98. 128ram;
> PII
> @500mhz. About five years old.
>
> When opening more than four .jpg files I get an shortage of memory box on my
> screen. That never used to happen until two days ago.
>
> I dumped most of my temp files from the past week to create space thinking
> that might be the problem.
>
> Also, there is no spyware on this computer - it has never been networked.
>
> For some reason, it says on the Perfomance Status:
>
> File System - 32 Bit
> Virtual Memory - Disabled
>
> I have gone through the following steps:
>
> Start
> Settings
> CP
> d/c System icon
> Click Performance Tab
> Click Virtual Memory
> [Radio Button] Click "Let Windows manage..."
> Click OK
> Click Yes
> Restart
>
> However, when the computer boots up and I check the Performance Status, it
> still says that the Virtual Memory is diabled.
>
> On my other computer - five year old Gateway running Win98 on a PII @ 350mhz
>
> I run through the same steps and the Performance Status says:
> File System - 32 Bit
> Virtual Memory - 32 Bit
>
> Any suggestions on how I can enable Virtual Memory would be greatly
> appreaciated.
> Thank you.
>
> Eddy

You could try setting your own virtual memory.

Enable 'Let me specify my own virtual memory settings'.

Set minimum to 300

Set maximum to 900

and see if this works.

Your win386.swp file under C:\ may also be corrupt.

From: eddy long on

"Maureen" <maureen(a)suppressed.email> wrote in message:

> This is an old system and you may have to consider upgrading.
> There's more problems going on here than meets the eye.
>
> I still think a new PC is in order [snipped]

> Maureen Aquino
> C-Tech Volunteer

Called Dell.

Set the min to 10 and max to 1000 - works fine now.

I like Win98. Both computers are five years old and work fine. No need to
purchase more tech.

Thank you Maureen.
Eddy

From: Maureen on
eddy long wrote:
> "Maureen" <maureen(a)suppressed.email> wrote in message:
>

>>This is an old system and you may have to consider upgrading.
>>There's more problems going on here than meets the eye.
>>
>>I still think a new PC is in order [snipped]
>

>>Maureen Aquino
>>C-Tech Volunteer

> Called Dell.
>
> Set the min to 10 and max to 1000 - works fine now.
>
> I like Win98. Both computers are five years old and work fine. No need to
> purchase more tech.
>
> Thank you Maureen.
> Eddy

Glad you got it working!

Did Dell give you a possible reason for your OS not accepting
your setting Windows to handle virtual memory?

--

Maureen Aquino
C-Tech Volunteer