From: Bruce Rhodes on
In clues to why I would get a "Operation Aborted" after 30 minutes into a
restore???

Bruce Rhodes - MVP
brhodes(a)safeguardit.com
From: Dave W on
I am not sure if this is related, but it might have to do with the size
of the restore or the size of the manifest.xml file. Or a corrupted
list within the site collection. Does the site partially restore, or
does it not even create the new site collection during the restore? if
it is partially restoring, it might be a corrupted file or list in the
backup. Is 30 Minutes pretty consistant, if so it might be a timeout.

I know there is a 2GB file size limit on the manifest.xml file when
using the SMIGRATE command to backup / restore sites. You might be
running into that problem with STSADM backup / restore. The site that
caused my problem had 50,000 files in a single site (not site
collection... just a site) plus versions. You might be able to see this
by renaming the .DAT file to .CAB and opening it with WINRAR or
something to view the compressed contents of the file.

Another issue might be that it is timing out on something because the
site collection you backed up and now restoring might be too large all
together. I am not sure of the limit, but i thought it was around 5GB
or so. I have heard there is something out there to help with this
issue, but just heard about it, i have never seen it.

- Dave

From: Bruce Rhodes on
Thanks Dave.

The .dat file is only 1.2G...not that large comparatively speaking.

The second time that I rec'vd the "Operation Aborted" error it was 24 min.
into the stsadm.exe restore...

I did the winrar, changing the .dat to .cab to no avail. ("The archive is
either in unknown format or damaged")

not sure what to do next...

Thanks for your help.

Bruce Rhodes