From: JB on
Thank you PA Bear

First, could you tell me why you mentioned McAfee? And what is the
connection to errors in safe boot?

Thanks

JB

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
A1. I've referenced McAfee at least twice in this thread. Which one are you
referring to?

A2. Since you can't tell me if the McAfee subscription had expired before
you replaced it with Avast, I must assume that it had and that your System
Restore problem is being caused by a hijackware infection which may have
been around since the McAfee subscription expired.

From: JB on
Hi

McAfee subscription had not expired before I replaced it with Avast. My
System Restore is totally deleted regularly.

But I don't understand what you mean by my System Restore problem. I was
not aware that I had one. My problem, if it is a problem, has to do with
errors in Event Viewer when I start in Safe Mode (only when I start in safe
Mode).

Personally, I thought they were normal as it appears, to me, that it has to
do with internet connection which in safe mode is not available.

If you have any information on that it would be helpful.

From: Jose on
On Mar 3, 3:26 am, "JB" <o...(a)closed.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> McAfee subscription had not expired before I replaced it with Avast.  My
> System Restore is totally deleted regularly.
>
> But I don't understand what you mean by my System Restore problem.  I was
> not aware that I had one.  My problem, if it is a problem, has to do with
> errors in Event Viewer when I start in Safe Mode (only when I start in safe
> Mode).
>
> Personally, I thought they were normal as it appears, to me,  that it has to
> do with internet connection which in safe mode is not available.
>
> If you have any information on that it would be helpful.
>
> JB

Look what I found on my system:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event Category: None
Event ID: 7026
Date: 3/3/2010
Time: 7:42:30 AM
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
AFD
Fips
IPSec
MRxSmb
NetBIOS
NetBT
Processor
RasAcd
Rdbss
SASDIFSV
SASKUTIL
Tcpip

Looks similar and this happens only when I boot in Safe Mode without
networking. If I boot Safe mode with networking, I do not have this
informative message.

I interpret it to mean the drivers are failing to load because they
are not supposed to load unless you boot Safe mode with networking.
So I think this is normal for the boot option selected.

I have the exact same ones you have, you just have a couple more.
Your environment is not the same as mine of course - you have some
things I don't have, but you have more things installed than I do (it
sounds like).

If I boot in Safe Mode I tend to use Networking and have never looked
at the Event Log for the different boot options until now.

The OP says he was booting in Safe Mode - not Safe Mode with
Networking.

Do you see the same things when you boot in Safe Mode with networking
or do you only see it in just plain Safe Mode?

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
> My System Restore is totally deleted regularly.

Are you intentionally deleting/removing Restore Points or is this happening
on its own? If the former, why are you doing so? If the latter, no, it is
NOT normal and you may be seeing the effects of a hijackware infection.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Screen does not look right
Next: FLV Format Playes