From: thumbnail problems on
Every time I change one particular folder to thumnail view on my ahrd drive,
explorer crashes and I get an error. I have screenshots if that will help
anyone. This all started after I did a Windows update and I'm a little tired
of having to go onto another computer in the network to view files. I'm
afraid to move anythign because I dont' want this to happen elsewhere. Please
help.
TIA
Roberta
From: Peter Foldes on
Can you tell us per verbatim what does this error say's and your computers OS and
Service Pack

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Ur spiel chukkers broke two

From: Paul on
thumbnail problems wrote:
> Every time I change one particular folder to thumnail view on my ahrd drive,
> explorer crashes and I get an error. I have screenshots if that will help
> anyone. This all started after I did a Windows update and I'm a little tired
> of having to go onto another computer in the network to view files. I'm
> afraid to move anythign because I dont' want this to happen elsewhere. Please
> help.
> TIA
> Roberta

What happens if you keep Thumbnails turned off, and preview the files
one at a time ? (The Picture Tasks view, should have a Details thing in the
lower left, and clicking that, should be showing a preview of the file
you just highlighted.)

Is it one particular file causing a problem ? Or is it every file you
try in that folder ?

The problem is either going to be one individual file is bad in some
way, or it is a problem with the OS.

I tried to find a tool, which could "validate" graphics files, but
I haven't seen one yet with that specific task in mind. A validator
would be checking the file for correctness in all respects, as a
means to detect a file that could cause a problem for a tool
attempting to parse it. That isn't an easy task, because some
graphics file formats have an infinite number of variations, and
the standard is seldom completely implemented (TIFF).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tagged_Image_File_Format

Paul
From: thumbnail problems on
HI,
I have Windows XP Media Center with all the latest updates. I have a generic
computer with 2GB RAM and a 500gb hard drive on a RAID mirror. I've had this
exact setup for about 2 yrs now. I checked just 2 days ago to see if there
were anymore updates for my version and there wasn't. I was hoping this was
caused by MS and they would offer a fix since it started happening after an
update. I also tried going back to a previous resore point but it goes
through all the motions then tells me it was unable to restore! And, oddly
enough it's only one folder - the folder with all my "fun stuff" jpgs, gifs,
ani's, icons, etc etc. It does not crash an dgive me an error when I click on
preview but I can't do that because I need to view them all and compare
between different versions of an image.

I will transcribe the screenshot and send it in a few - it's pretty wordy
and has links for the "details".

And to the person that commented on my spelling errors - get over it. It's
still readable and that was unnecessary. It was 2a.m. and it was simply
tranposing of letters.