Prev: webOS App
Next: soffice.bin
From: jonathon on
On 06/07/2010 10:55 PM, Mark C. Miller wrote:

> reference I can find that brings this up,

http://www.helpdesk.ilstu.edu/kb/index.phtml?kbid=1205 describes one of
the workarounds for some known incompatibilities between office versions.

>there is another saying that there is no problem.

As a general rule of thumb, what you are looking at here, is the
tolerance that people have for differences in presentation markup and
depiction. Some differences in presentation markup will cause
differences in displayed content.

The more complex the presentation markup of a document is, the more
visible the difference between the document on the original machine, and
the document on the "new" machine.

The more complex the structural markup is, the more visible the
difference between the document on the original machine, and the
document on the "new" machine.

If all you produce are A4 size pages with 20 mm margins, using 10 point
Tahoma, with no embedded objects or images, then you won't see any
incompatibilities between the different versions of MSO, much less the
same version of MSO.

OTOH, if you standard document includes 75 or more different fonts, with
half a dozen sizes for each font, with each paragraph a different
writing system, and occasional changes of writing system within a
sentence, and you also include embedded objects, and images, you will
notice the differences between different versions of MSO. Depending
upon various other random factors, you may also notice differences when
the same document is displayed on two or more systems that run the same
version of MSO and Windows.

jonathon
--
Non-list email sent to this email address is forwarded to Dave Null, unread.
From: Bruce Martin on
Hi Jonathon & Mark:

What Jonathon is saying is about what I would have expressed generally
in different words.

Certain types of content are more prone to import/export problems than
others. Generally this type of content is closer to being executable
codes that mere text.

Common examples are:

- Vectorial graphics
- Sections and some hyperlinks.
- Animation

I run into this on a regular basis, but have developed my own collection
of workarounds. I see this in Oo Draw, which I use very frequently as a
2D CAD and more, I see some issues in Gimp when it comes to controlling
selections, depending on the nature and colour distribution in the
original image.

When you try to do vectorisation - good luck! it's generally a matter
of tracing and redrawing because a bitmap does not have the real
information needed for the vectors to interact with each other properly.

I am not sure if it is kosher to offer paid support service here or not,
but if somebody can post a reply to that, and it turns out to be
acceptable, I can offer.

Best Regards,

Bruce M.
On 06/08/2010 08:57 AM, jonathon wrote:
> On 06/07/2010 10:55 PM, Mark C. Miller wrote:
>

>> reference I can find that brings this up,
>>
> http://www.helpdesk.ilstu.edu/kb/index.phtml?kbid=1205 describes one of
> the workarounds for some known incompatibilities between office versions.
>

>> there is another saying that there is no problem.
>>
> As a general rule of thumb, what you are looking at here, is the
> tolerance that people have for differences in presentation markup and
> depiction. Some differences in presentation markup will cause
> differences in displayed content.
>
> The more complex the presentation markup of a document is, the more
> visible the difference between the document on the original machine, and
> the document on the "new" machine.
>
> The more complex the structural markup is, the more visible the
> difference between the document on the original machine, and the
> document on the "new" machine.
>
> If all you produce are A4 size pages with 20 mm margins, using 10 point
> Tahoma, with no embedded objects or images, then you won't see any
> incompatibilities between the different versions of MSO, much less the
> same version of MSO.
>
> OTOH, if you standard document includes 75 or more different fonts, with
> half a dozen sizes for each font, with each paragraph a different
> writing system, and occasional changes of writing system within a
> sentence, and you also include embedded objects, and images, you will
> notice the differences between different versions of MSO. Depending
> upon various other random factors, you may also notice differences when
> the same document is displayed on two or more systems that run the same
> version of MSO and Windows.
>
> jonathon

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

From: HANXRec on
Would like to respond better but my printer seems to have quit printing.
what's the problem? I like to absorb
the text before responding. What has gone wrong w my PTR!? Ah! I notice
that I'm reading "Read e-mail"!!!
It won't let me? WELL, I be back to you, later!
HRH

> [...]
>>
>> If all you produce are A4 size pages with 20 mm margins, using 10 point
>> Tahoma, with no embedded objects or images, then you won't see any
>> incompatibilities between the different versions of MSO, much less the
>> same version of MSO.
>>
>> OTOH, if you standard document includes 75 or more different fonts, with
>> half a dozen sizes for each font, with each paragraph a different
>> writing system, and occasional changes of writing system within a
>> sentence, and you also include embedded objects, and images, you will
>> notice the differences between different versions of MSO. Depending
>> upon various other random factors, you may also notice differences when
>> the same document is displayed on two or more systems that run the same
>> version of MSO and Windows.
>>
>> jonathon

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: webOS App
Next: soffice.bin