From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 07:09:15 -0700 (PDT), dave_140390(a)hotmail.com
wrote:

> On Apr 23, 8:37�am, sanjacstudent12
> <sanjacstuden...(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Windows 7 offers a network wizard you can use to set up a homegroup.
>
> As far as I know, homegroups do not work on Windows XP.

That's correct. They only work with Windows 7 computers.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
From: Lem on
dave_140390(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> On Apr 23, 12:50 am, Lem <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote:
>> dave_140...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I have two computers at home: one PC with Windows XP Professional,
>>> another PC with Windows 7 Home Premium. Both PCs are connected to my
>>> ISP's cable modem via a switch.
>>> I would like to share a folder on Windows XP so Windows 7 could read
>>> the files in that folder.
>>> I have shared the directory on Windows XP to "Everyone". A hand
>>> appears under the shared folder, so sharing seems to work.
>>> The question is now:
>>> How do I access the shared folder from Windows 7?
>>> In Windows 7's, under File Manager's "Network", I can see only Windows
>>> 7 itself, not Windows XP.
>>> -- dave
>> Connected via "a switch"?
>
> Yes.
>

>> You have to create a network between the 2 computers. Perhaps you have.
>> You present too little information to tell.
>
> Really? Well:
> * the switch is connected to the IPS's cable modem with an Ethernet
> cable
> * each of the two PCs is connected to the switch with an Ethernet
> cable
>
> The switch is D-Link DES-1005D.
>
> Each of the PCs can access the Internet with this setup.
>
> -- dave

Many people confuse the terms "switch," "hub," and "router," all of
which do different things. Your DES-1005D is indeed a switch -- and it's
connected to your cable modem which undoubtedly is also a router.

Terminology aside, did you read the information at the link I posted,
which explains in detail how to set up a network between a computer
running Windows 7 and a computer running XP?

The "System error 1792" is a bit unusual. That error indicates that the
"Net Logon Service" did not start. Despite the way the name of that
service sounds, it is used for *Domain* authentication when you log into
the domain. You shouldn't have a domain.

On the XP box
- right click "My Computer" and select Properties
- click the "Computer Name" tab
- ensure that the computer is in a Workgroup and not a Domain. If
necessary, click the "Change" button and ensure that the radio button
next to "Workgroup" is selected.
- write down the Workgroup name

On the Win 7 box
- right click "My Computer" and select Properties
- The workgroup name is displayed under Computer name, domain, and
workgroup settings.
- ensure that the workgroup name is the same as on the XP box. You can
change either computer.

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: dave_140390 on
Hi,

> On the XP box
> - right click "My Computer" and select Properties
> - click the "Computer Name" tab
> - ensure that the computer is in a Workgroup and not a Domain. If
> necessary, click the "Change" button and ensure that the radio button
> next to "Workgroup" is selected.
> - write down the Workgroup name

I think you found a problem: my XP computer (which my company lends
me) is in a domain, not in a workgroup. And the "Change..." button is
greyed, so it seems that I can't put my XP computer in a workgroup.

Now, do you know if there is a way to enable the "Change..." button?
Perhaps by tweaking the registry?

Note that I do have admin rights.

-- dave
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

"Lem" <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote in message
> dave_140390(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>>> Connected via "a switch"?
>>
>> Yes.
>>

>>> You have to create a network between the 2 computers. Perhaps you have.
>>> You present too little information to tell.
>>
>> Really? Well:
>> * the switch is connected to the IPS's cable modem with an Ethernet
>> cable
>> * each of the two PCs is connected to the switch with an Ethernet
>> cable
>>
>> The switch is D-Link DES-1005D.
>>
>> Each of the PCs can access the Internet with this setup.
>>
>> -- dave
>
> Many people confuse the terms "switch," "hub," and "router," all of which
> do different things. Your DES-1005D is indeed a switch -- and it's
> connected to your cable modem which undoubtedly is also a router.
>
> Lem

Is there room for doubt? My cable modem ist just this, a modem, and it
requires a separate router in order to provide the hardware firewall
functionality that I insist on.

From: Lem on
Pegasus [MVP] wrote:

> "Lem" <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote in message
>> dave_140390(a)hotmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes.

>>> Really? Well:
>>> * the switch is connected to the IPS's cable modem with an Ethernet
>>> cable
>>> * each of the two PCs is connected to the switch with an Ethernet
>>> cable
>>>
>>> The switch is D-Link DES-1005D.
>>>
>>> Each of the PCs can access the Internet with this setup.
>>>
>>> -- dave
>>
>> Many people confuse the terms "switch," "hub," and "router," all of
>> which do different things. Your DES-1005D is indeed a switch -- and
>> it's connected to your cable modem which undoubtedly is also a router.
>>
>> Lem
>
> Is there room for doubt? My cable modem ist just this, a modem, and it
> requires a separate router in order to provide the hardware firewall
> functionality that I insist on.

Yes, there is room for doubt.

But *something* assigned at least one of his computers an IP address of
192.168.0.2. It's my understanding that if you connected your computer
directly to your cable modem (which as you point out has security
disadvantages), your computer would receive its IP address from the
ISP's headend, and it would be a public IP address (i.e., not
192.168.x.y).

But having to guess like this is why my first response was that the OP
had not provided sufficient information.
--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago: