From: dave_140390 on
Hi,

I have two computers at home: one PC with Windows XP Professional,
another PC with Windows 7 Home Premium. Both PCs are connected to my
ISP's cable modem via a switch.

I would like to share a folder on Windows XP so Windows 7 could read
the files in that folder.

I have shared the directory on Windows XP to "Everyone". A hand
appears under the shared folder, so sharing seems to work.

The question is now:
How do I access the shared folder from Windows 7?

In Windows 7's, under File Manager's "Network", I can see only Windows
7 itself, not Windows XP.

-- dave
From: Lem on
dave_140390(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two computers at home: one PC with Windows XP Professional,
> another PC with Windows 7 Home Premium. Both PCs are connected to my
> ISP's cable modem via a switch.
>
> I would like to share a folder on Windows XP so Windows 7 could read
> the files in that folder.
>
> I have shared the directory on Windows XP to "Everyone". A hand
> appears under the shared folder, so sharing seems to work.
>
> The question is now:
> How do I access the shared folder from Windows 7?
>
> In Windows 7's, under File Manager's "Network", I can see only Windows
> 7 itself, not Windows XP.
>
> -- dave

Connected via "a switch"?

You have to create a network between the 2 computers. Perhaps you have.
You present too little information to tell. See:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/Networking-home-computers-running-different-versions-of-Windows

--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Pegasus [MVP] on

<dave_140390(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have two computers at home: one PC with Windows XP Professional,
> another PC with Windows 7 Home Premium. Both PCs are connected to my
> ISP's cable modem via a switch.
>
> I would like to share a folder on Windows XP so Windows 7 could read
> the files in that folder.
>
> I have shared the directory on Windows XP to "Everyone". A hand
> appears under the shared folder, so sharing seems to work.
>
> The question is now:
> How do I access the shared folder from Windows 7?
>
> In Windows 7's, under File Manager's "Network", I can see only Windows
> 7 itself, not Windows XP.
>
> -- dave

- Can you ping the WinXP PC from the Windows 7 PC?
- Dooes your Windows 7 logon account/password match a WinXP
account/password?
- What do you see when you type this command at the Windows 7 Command
Prompt:
net use Q: "\\WinXPName\ShareName"

From: dave_140390 on
On Apr 23, 12:50 am, Lem <lemp40(a)unknownhost> wrote:
> dave_140...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > I have two computers at home: one PC with Windows XP Professional,
> > another PC with Windows 7 Home Premium. Both PCs are connected to my
> > ISP's cable modem via a switch.
>
> > I would like to share a folder on Windows XP so Windows 7 could read
> > the files in that folder.
>
> > I have shared the directory on Windows XP to "Everyone". A hand
> > appears under the shared folder, so sharing seems to work.
>
> > The question is now:
> > How do I access the shared folder from Windows 7?
>
> > In Windows 7's, under File Manager's "Network", I can see only Windows
> > 7 itself, not Windows XP.
>
> > -- dave
>
> Connected via "a switch"?

Yes.

> You have to create a network between the 2 computers. Perhaps you have.
> You present too little information to tell.

Really? Well:
* the switch is connected to the IPS's cable modem with an Ethernet
cable
* each of the two PCs is connected to the switch with an Ethernet
cable

The switch is D-Link DES-1005D.

Each of the PCs can access the Internet with this setup.

-- dave
From: dave_140390 on
Hi,

Thanks for your help. Here are the answers to your questions:

> - Can you ping the WinXP PC from the Windows 7 PC?

I can:

C:\>ping 192.168.0.2

Pinging 192.168.0.2 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Reply from 192.168.0.2: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.2:

C:\>

> - Dooes your Windows 7 logon account/password match a WinXP
> account/password?

No.

> - What do you see when you type this command at the Windows 7 Command
> Prompt:
> net use Q: "\\WinXPName\ShareName"

I am not sure what the correct syntax of this command would be. Given
that I share directory C:\foo in the WinXP PC, should I enter:

net use Q: "\\WinXPName\foo"

or:

net use Q: "\\WinXPName\c\foo"

or one of the above without quotes?

I tried all 4 syntaxes above, with the same result:

An attempt was made to logon, but the network logon service was not
started.

-- dave