From: SteveR on
I'm wondering, how quickly do you "old" pros jump on the bandwagon with a
new VS version? Do you also keep an older version handy?
-----------

From: Scott McPhillips [MVP] on
"SteveR" <maxsrussellatremovethisembarqmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm wondering, how quickly do you "old" pros jump on the bandwagon with a
> new VS version? Do you also keep an older version handy?

I skipped the 2001 and 2003 versions entirely, as did my team of 8-10
colleagues. These were the 1st and 2nd versions to use the horrible 'new'
IDE. When I do upgrade it's usually a year or so after a new version is
released. There has been almost nothing new of interest to an MFC
programmer from 1997 until the 2008 feature pack.

--
Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP]

From: David Ching on
> I'm wondering, how quickly do you "old" pros jump on the bandwagon with a
> new VS version? Do you also keep an older version handy?

Since we can install multiple Visual Studio's with no problem, I keep VS6,
VS2005, and VS2008 on my system. When VS2010 releases, I'll add that.
Whether I use it or not is another question....

I don't install Microsoft beta products on my system ever since a
Silverlight beta caused serious problems for which I'm still not sure my
system is not fully recovered. It's not the Visual Studio betas that are
the problem, I don't think... it's the beta of the new .NET (.NET 4 in the
case of VS2010) that does not properly uninstall/update when the RTM
releases sometimes. These .NET installers are definitely not foolproof.
Read Aaron Stebner's blog for post after post of installation issues and
hairy workarounds.

-- David

From: Pete Delgado on

"Scott McPhillips [MVP]" <org-dot-mvps-at-scottmcp> wrote in message
> "SteveR" <maxsrussellatremovethisembarqmail.com> wrote in message
>> I'm wondering, how quickly do you "old" pros jump on the bandwagon with a
>> new VS version? Do you also keep an older version handy?
>

> I skipped the 2001 and 2003 versions entirely, as did my team of 8-10
> colleagues. These were the 1st and 2nd versions to use the horrible 'new'
> IDE. When I do upgrade it's usually a year or so after a new version is
> released. There has been almost nothing new of interest to an MFC
> programmer from 1997 until the 2008 feature pack.

Just out of curiousity, what are you using from the feature pack? I use the
TR1 extensions, most notably the regex classes, but not the new classes
within MFC.

-Pete

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
I sometimes install them fairly early in the release cycle, although I usually don't end
up using them for two or three years (I cannot deliver to my clients code that will not
compile on what they are using, and that is usually several years behind any release).

Only recently, with the ability to have virtual machines, would I ever consider loading a
beta. Since "beta testing" doesn't mean "find flaws in the design" but "find bugs we
failed to find in testing", I see no reason to be an unpaid tester for Microsoft. And I
can't risk the kind of damage a beta can do to a system. I made this mistake some years
ago with a beta and will never, ever repeat it.

The biggest problem Microsoft has these days is doing really, really, REALLY bad design,
such as the VS .NET IDE or the Office Ribbon; by the time we can make comments on it, it
is far too late to point out that the design was made by someone who was, to put it
mildly, totally clueless about the task of programming, writing documents, or creating
PowerPoint presentations. So I've found the irritation factor of new products usually
more than offsets any features they can offer.

I use VS 2008 for my new internal development, but external development is still largely
based in VS2003. I appear to lose nothing by this choice. Much of my Web site contains
VS6 code and I have no motivation to update it. My most recent projects are VS2008.

While VS2010 has a C++ compiler with cool features, I can't actually use any of these cool
features in any product I deliver, because none of my clients use VS2010. Most use
VS2003, some use VS2005, and only two are using VS2008, the last time I checked. The last
VS6 holdouts have moved to VS2005 for new development, but there is no way they are going
to convert their massive base of VS6 code to anything newer (essentially, they have
learned the hard way that upgrades always have "breaking changes" and you don't break
products that are out in the field and working).

Microsoft's view that "as soon as we release a new version of VS, every programmer in the
known Universe switches to it the day after they receive the distribution disk" is
actually destructive to their credibility. Even the "open source" people make every past
version available for download, even if the version is deprecated.

Sadly, the problem of maintaining older versions is that you must install them in order;
if you install VS6 after you install VS2010, then every time you double-click a file, you
get the VS6 compiler, because the system has this quaint "file association" mechanism that
does not allow multiple versions to coexist. The fact that all solution files are now
called .sln and project files are called .vcproj, instead of encoding the version in them,
really is a total pain. In a rational world, the extension of the solution files and
project files would change on every release, so you would always launch the correct
(rather than the latest) version of VS for a project. But as we know, software evolves,
because there is little evidence of Intelligent Design anywhere.
joe

On Sun, 27 Dec 2009 10:05:32 -0500, "SteveR" <maxsrussellatremovethisembarqmail.com>
wrote:

>I'm wondering, how quickly do you "old" pros jump on the bandwagon with a
>new VS version? Do you also keep an older version handy?
>> Sigh. Another wrinkle in the "every version we ship is less usable than
>> the previous
>> version" approach to new products.
>> joe

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]