From: Giovanni Dicanio on
"Scott McPhillips [MVP]" <org-dot-mvps-at-scottmcp> ha scritto nel messaggio

> I skipped the 2001 and 2003 versions entirely, as did my team of 8-10
> colleagues. These were the 1st and 2nd versions to use the horrible 'new'
> IDE. When I do upgrade it's usually a year or so after a new version is
> released.

This may be an interesting reading:

"There are no silver bullets..."
http://www.codewiz51.com/blog/post/2010/01/16/There-are-no-silver-bullets.aspx

Giovanni

From: Pete Delgado on

"David Ching" <dc(a)remove-this.dcsoft.com> wrote in message
> "Stephen Myers" <""StephenMyers\"@discussions(a)microsoft.com"> wrote in
> message news:exZvygGlKHA.1652(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>> We skipped VS2005 and didn't move from VS2003 to VS2008 until last year.
>> It comes down to what exactly do you gain by doing the upgrade. The
>> profiling that was added with VS2005 is the only thing that was of much
>> interest to us. The migration was not free, as we have a ton of very old
>> code which generated various new compiler warnings and errors.
>>

> It's interesting how both you and Joe skipped VS2005 in favor of VS2008.
> For C++, I find no advantage of 2008 over 2005, and in fact 2008 builds
> more slowly than 2005. So my C++ projects are in 2005 and my .NET
> projects are in 2008 (for .NET, there are significant advantages of 2008).

I also hate the fact that the XML schema editor was removed from Visual
Studio 2008. Microsoft seems to believe that few people used it, but for
people like me who didn't want to take the time or trouble to type in our
schemas and instead wanted a visual representation of what we were doing, it
was invaluable. Certainly there were problems with it, but to remove it
rather than fix it is ludicrous!

I now have at least four versions of Visual Studio on my primary development
machine... Ugh!

-Pete