From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
h2inc is a utility that creates an assembly-language .inc file from a .h file, in
particular, it translates C structures to STRUCT declarations.

However VS2008 does not appear to have it, although I always do a complete install of
everything possible. Anyone have any ideas what happened to it?
joe

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Cmplx80 on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> h2inc is a utility that creates an assembly-language .inc file from a .h file, in
> particular, it translates C structures to STRUCT declarations.
>
> However VS2008 does not appear to have it, although I always do a complete install of
> everything possible. Anyone have any ideas what happened to it?
> joe
>
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

Joe - I think VS2003 might have been the last version to include h2inc.
It was part of a patch which should be available at this link:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/masm61/Patch/6.14/W9XNT4/EN-US/Ml614.exe

Frank
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Given the total slovenliness of the MASM documentation, it is not surprising that a
feature that has been removed is still documented; the Microsoft documentation acts as if
this feature is still present.

So we have features that DON'T exist that ARE documented, and features that DO exist that
AREN'T documented. Very sad.

(The most recent documentation I could find still tells how to create TSRs! And if you
don't know what that stands for, consider yourselves lucky!)
joe

From: Liviu on
"Joseph M. Newcomer" <newcomer(a)flounder.com> wrote...

> So we have features that DON'T exist that ARE documented [...]

In fairness to MS, this _was_ documented as a new feature ;-)

|| http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/xw102cyh.aspx
|| The following features are new for MASM in Visual C++ 2005: [...]
|| * H2INC.exe will not ship in Visual C++ 2005.
|| If you need to continue to use H2INC,
|| use H2INC.exe from a previous version of Visual C++.

That said, the latest/last MASM having been marketed/sold standalone
was the v6.1x line. It included a vintage-1995 dos-extended h2inc.exe
(those who remember TSRs may recall PharLap as well).

Liviu

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
Of course, it probably never occurred to them to tell the documentation people about this!

Sigh. Another wrinkle in the "every version we ship is less usable than the previous
version" approach to new products.
joe