From: Sharon on
ok - Doing the repair install, moving along fine until it asks for my product
key. However When I enter it in, checking carefully a number of times, I get
the CD key you entered is not valid. I have XPproSP1 that I got with VPC6
and am using that key, but now I'm stuck. Any ideas?

Sharon

From: John Schneider on
I got around this problem by copying over a HAL.DLL from another XP VM. Here
was the procedure I used.
1) Created a new clean XP Pro VM, loaded SP2 and all current updates.
2) Added this new vhd as a secondary drive in another VM (happened to be XP
Home)
3) Added the problem vhd as a third drive in the XP Home VM
4) Booted the XP Home VM
5) On drive #3 (the problem vhd), renamed hal.dll to hal.dll.sav, and
ntoskrnl.exe to ntoskrnl.exe.sav
6) Copied hal.dll and ntoskrnl.exe from drive 2 to drive 3.
7) Verified that the boot.ini files were the same on drive 3 as on drive 2.
8) Closed the XP Home VM.
9) Booted the old XP Pro VM and did not get the HAL error.

Now I'm having a problem with the BSOD x7B, but I'm sure that's just a
device driver issue. Hoping to nail that one down tonight, but the steps
above should take care of the HAL.DLL issue.

Good Luck,
John

From: Steve Jain on
Keep in mind that in VPC7, which is what version Sharon is using has
ACPI disabled by default.

Where VPC2004 does not.

This could account for HAL.DLL problems.

--
Cheers,
Steve Jain, Virtual Machine MVP